ONTAP Discussions

New Storage FAS8200 all SAS, Aggregate Design

Jas

I am looking for best suggestions in designing the Aggregates to effectively utilize the Storage space.

We have all SAS Disks each with 1.6 TB capacity.

There are 2 root aggregates of Raid-DP each has utliized 3 Disks for controller 1 and controller 2.

The Team has created the rest of  Data Aggregates using 20 Disks allocated for each aggregate making it 26 TB of each Size.

Now when i create a SVM one aggregate of Capacity 26TB is used, It is not recomended to use the SVM root Aggregate for data, Do i need to waste 26 TB here, let me know how can i design in order to best utilize the storage for data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

You confuse node root and SVM root. Node root requires dedicated aggregate that cannot be used for other volumes. SVM root is just normal volume that does not require dedicated aggregate.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JGPSHNTAP

@Jas wrote:

I am looking for best suggestions in designing the Aggregates to effectively utilize the Storage space.

We have all SAS Disks each with 1.6 TB capacity.

There are 2 root aggregates of Raid-DP each has utliized 3 Disks for controller 1 and controller 2.

The Team has created the rest of  Data Aggregates using 20 Disks allocated for each aggregate making it 26 TB of each Size.

Now when i create a SVM one aggregate of Capacity 26TB is used, It is not recomended to use the SVM root Aggregate for data, Do i need to waste 26 TB here, let me know how can i design in order to best utilize the storage for data.

An 8020 is an older controller, i'm not sure if it supports ADP, if it does you want to try to do ADP b/c if not you lose 6 disks total for root aggregate.    Once the root aggregates are created, the next aggregate is the data aggregate and the SVM root can be on that aggregate.  It's just stating you cannot put any data in aggr0

aborzenkov

@JGPSHNTAP wrote:

An 8020 is an older controller, i'm not sure if it supports ADP

ADP on 8200 is supported starting with ONTAP 9.2. Of course it requires full system reinitialization.

JGPSHNTAP

@

aborzenkov

Same. You do not need to guess, there is HWU for you 🙂

Jas

I have proposed  ADP, The management has rejected it, We are okay to dedicate 6 Disks to root aggregate.

My concern is i have already distrubuted 6 Data Aggregates each holds 20 Disks, in which i have assigned 1 Aggregate for SVM root, which means i cannot use the full Capacity of 20 SAS Disks here?

Let me know what is the best way to design 100 SAS Disks among 1 SVM root and Data Aggregates.

Do i need to delete one Aggregate and create a small Aggregate of 3 Disks for SVM root?

Appreciate your help!

aborzenkov

You confuse node root and SVM root. Node root requires dedicated aggregate that cannot be used for other volumes. SVM root is just normal volume that does not require dedicated aggregate.

Jas

Thank you for the clarification.

Really appreciate all the Efforts.

Public