ONTAP Discussions

Not able to select subdirectories with Backup Exec 2010 NDMP

dennis_von_eulenburg

Hi,

we've got a litte problem with Backup Exec and the NDMP option. Isn't it possible to select the ~snapshot folder or any other folder insight a volume? We can just select the entire volume

Thanks alot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

radek_kubka

Hi,

I am not quite sure whether this addresses your issue, but with NDMP you always backup entire volume, not a part of it. Depending on backup software, you can either generate a new snapshot for that purpose and/or point to an existing one.

Regards,

Radek

aborzenkov

I dare to correct. While it is true that snapshot is always created for full volume, backup software normally allows to select only part of volume (subdirectory) to actually write to media. This is often used to backup large volumes in parallel. So this looks more like BE configuration issue.

In any case it is normally not possible to select ~snapshot directory for backup; at least I have never seen it.

dennis_von_eulenburg

I have to say, that my knowlage about Backup Exec is about 0,00

Normaly we and also our customers uses Backbone Netvault. As you can see, with this product and the ndmp plugin it is possible to select the snapshot directory, a single snapshot and also a single file inside a snapshot. So is there no possibility to do the same with Backup Exec?

How do you guys backup SME or SMSQL snapshots? So am I right, that I have to backup the entire Volume to get a single file/directory to tape?

aborzenkov

dennis_von_eulenburg

Ah thats great, so I can select a single directory insight a volume. Good to know!

So the problem is a configuration issue and can be fixed.

I found round about 10 documents about netapp and ndmp but not this one... Damm. Thank you!

Public