ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Edge to ONTAP Edge T

jezowski

Can ONTAP Edge be 'upgraded' to ONTAP Edge T and is there a cost associated with that?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

BUMPSTEADT

From what I can tell, the difference is just the platform key used when deploying from dvadmin.

jgoldsch

Troy,

There is no upgrade path from Edge to Edge-T - these are different products managed by different software license keys.

The Data ONTAP Edge datasheet provides a nice comparison of the two offerings:

http://media.netapp.com/documents/ds-data-ontap-edge.pdf

hanar

There is no upgrade path from Edge to Edge-T.  They are the equivalent of buying two different hardware platforms.  Once they are installed, they set a “hardware” personality.  You can’t upgrade to Edge-T as it is a different model number and associated serial number.  You would need to buy an Edge-T version and migrate the data over to that virtual machine.

jezowski

So that would imply a customer who previously purchased ONTAP Edge has no "trade-in credit" or way to make use of those software licenses if they were to purchase ONTAP Edge-T. Correct?

michelznetapp

Hey guys

I know i'm digging up an old thread. But there is a "desaster recovery" procedure that you can re-install ONTAP Edge using "just" the data disks.

I believe that would allow for an upgrade.

Is there still no possibility to do a "trade-in" of an ONTAP Edge and upgrade to a Edge-T ?  I mean this is after all possible with the Hardware-FAS as well (Head-Swap for instance)

Any takers here?

Public