ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Select - Bypass minimum storage requirement

BenHuntsman

Hi there!

I'm setting up ONTAP Select 9.2 in my lab, where we have limited hardware.  I've got a two-node VMware cluster with each node having 1.6TB of local storage.  The rest is SAN-based.  Unfortunately, I can't quite stretch the hardware enough to get 2+TB of local storage to meet the minimum size requirement.

I'd never even think about doing this in production, but given that this is a lab only and we just need it for demo/learning purposes, is there any way to manually bypass the minimum size requirement of 2TB, and/or make it use thin provisioning?  I'm ok with deploying entirely from the command line, but I really need a way to get this working without buying a bunch of bigger disks...

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

JohnChampion

You could try the Product Eval version - it might let you squeeze in a single node  --  https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/special/ontapselect_eval/

There won't be a DeployVM using the product eval OVA howerver.

FYI - 9.3RC1 was released on 9 November 🙂 

JohnChampion

Also, Select supports external storage (you mentioned SAN) - you just have to set a capacity limit.

SeanHatfield

I've been deploying it to nested hosts.  Its obviously not a supported configuration, but I've built nested lab pods with 1, 2, and 4 node ESX environments.  I allocate 24gb ram, 6vcpu, and a 3TB disk to each nested ESX host.  I thin provision them on an NFS datastore, which doesn't have anywhere near 12T of actual capacity.  I'm not filling it up or expecting real-world performance, just running through deployment scenarios and doing some basic functional testing.  In my case, it's working out fine, but YMMV.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public