ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Select Deployment Failed due to "cannot mark disks independent-persistent"

BPDUguard

Greetings everyone,

I am currently evaluating ONTAP Select using ONTAP Select Deploy for ESXi. The environment detai is as below:

• ONTAP Select Deploy 2.7.2
  • ESXi 6.0 U2 (build 3620759)
  • vCenter Server 6.0 U2 (build 4541947), Windows Server-based.
  • 2-node cluster, ONTAP 9.3P3, small controller  to be deployed

Here I ran into a very strange situation. While the ESXi's are standalone, the deployment goes very straightforward. I generally use CLI in the deployment.

1. "host add" using ESXi's credential
  2. "host configure" specifying port groups and datastores; standalone ESXi's only has standard switch. 
  3. "network connectivity check " with MTU 9000
  4. "cluster create" 

The deployment finishes very soon. However, if the ESXI's are added into vCenter beforehand, the deployment fails. Here I use similar commands.

1. "host add" using vCenter credential
  2. "host configure" specifying port groups and datastores; standalone ESXi's only has standard switch. 
  3. "network connectivity check " with MTU 9000
  4. "cluster create" 

This error occurs despite the hierarchy of vCenter. The ESXi's can be added as either discrete hosts or a cluster, but both situation leads to failure.

It seems adding ESXi's to vCenter to changed their behavior reacting to the ONTAP Select Deploy. Is there any correction or workaround that should be taken to avoid the failure?

Any reply would be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

svesnik

This can happen if the locale of the vCenter is not set to English. Can you verify if this is the case? See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2121646 for more information.

FromJapan

直接原因:

VMware vCenter language restriction
If you use ONTAP Select Deploy to create a cluster running on ESXi with vCenter on a
Windows Server, you must use an English language version. ONTAP Select Deploy does
not support vCenter on non-English versions of Windows.

■参考URL:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2847383

カレントlocale を en_US  と変更する事でokとなりました。

問題は、クラスター作成後に、上記をjaに戻せるか? という部分が次の課題となります。

Public