ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Select FAQ

xiaoweivip
Hello Team,
I have read all the materials about Select. Five additonal questions about Select, Pls help clarify.

1) Does Select Support out-of-box disks ? Such as FC-SAN LUN ? Because local disks is insufficient for large capacity requirement.

2) Can I add more Ports (vnic)for Select ? Other then the default 6 port. Similarily Can I modify(add,remove)other default config for Select Vm, i.g CPU,MEM ?

3)How to update Select software ?  The normal guide says:
 "Upgrading the ONTAP Select hosts After you deploy an ONTAP Select cluster, you can update the ONTAP image of each node as needed using the standard ONTAP software upgrade procedure. and Note: You cannot use the Deploy administration tool to perform upgrades of existing ONTAP Select nodes."

But is Select Package the same as the FAS ONTAP 9 package ? the same method as FAS ONTAP update ?

4) about ONTAP SELECT PACKAGE and ONTAPdepoy Package
From guide , I know ONTAPdeploy is used to configure Select , and ONTAPdepoy includes Select package.
but there is no detail info about how to get and use the two package.
In my unstanding, ontapdepoy should be a separate package from Select , and ontapdepoy setup procedure will push Select image into the ESXI aka Imaging a node from other HCI vendor .

I just don`t know the image node precedure about Ontap select.

5) After first installation, Can I remove/delete Ontapdeploy vm ? Does it have other functions execpt for Imaging node and cluster.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

prashand

hi,

Please find answer below:

1) Does Select Support out-of-box disks ? Such as FC-SAN LUN ? Because local disks is insufficient for large capacity requirement.

> ONTAP Select 9.0 only supports internal direct attached stroage. In a future release, we expect to support external SAN array. Can you pl. provide some details on the use-case and capacity requirement per node ?

2) Can I add more Ports (vnic)for Select ? Other then the default 6 port. Similarily Can I modify(add,remove)other default config for Select Vm, i.g CPU,MEM ?

ONTAP Select standard supports a fixed VM configuration - 4vCPU/16GB memory. You cannot change that. In the future we will release a Premium offering that can scale-up to higher cpu/memory configuration. Regards, vnic can you please clarify the use-case/need for more than 6 VNICs for Select ?

3)How to update Select software ?  The normal guide says:

> Yes, as the guide mentions, the steps are simillar to upgrading an ONTAP version on a FAS platform. The ONTAP CLI commands/process for upgrade are the exact same. You will be able to upgrade as and when ONTAP Select RC2 bits are posted on the NOW site. 

4) about ONTAP SELECT PACKAGE and ONTAPdepoy Package

> The ONTAP Select RC1 appliance install package contains both the ONTAP Deploy tool and ONTAP Select node image.  The Deploy tool contains ONTAP Select node images.

5) After first installation, Can I remove/delete Ontapdeploy vm ? Does it have other functions execpt for Imaging node and cluster.

> the deploy VM is required for ongoing failure/recovery and supportability. 

xiaoweivip

Hello ,

I just can`t  distinguish the deploy package and select package . for I only find there is one OVA on NOW download page : ONTAPdeploy_2.0

where`s select package ?     how to install select ?  ONTAPdeploy will push  select bits into  ESXI or just import Select OVA into ESXI and then use ONTAPdepoy to manage select cluster ?

thanks

venkat3

@xiaoweivip

>>I just can`t  distinguish the deploy package and select package . for I only find there is one OVA on NOW download page : ONTAPdeploy_2.0

>>where`s select package ?     how to install select ?  ONTAPdeploy will push  select bits into  ESXI or just import Select OVA into ESXI and then use ONTAPdepoy to manage select cluster ?

yes, ONTAP Deploy will push the select node and manage the ONTAP Select cluster.

thanks

SR

heightsnj

I read a doc about OnTap SELECT, but don't know much about it.

For the first question, Does that mean I can not use or provision SAN/FC luns to client hosts? only NFS or CIFS?

Or

What does the first question all about? since this seems an important part about SELECT, which I am missing. Can these disks attaching to local hosts be JBOX type of disks? then I dno't need FAS controllers at all. Correct?

Public