ONTAP Discussions

OSSV 3.0 - copying data from NFS/CIFS-mounted Windows filesystem to a NetApp

druddle00

Hello,

If I have a Windows (or Linux for that matter) server that has filesystems mounted via NFS or CIFS, can I use OSSV on that server to Snapvault volumes to a NetApp ?  Or do the volumes have to be DAS/SAN-mounted ?

Dave

11 REPLIES 11

adaikkap

In case of linux you dont have to do anything.

But in case of windows,I think it has to be added as a drive, though I might be wrong.

May be other experts can correct me.

Else I will test and get back to you in couple of days.

Regards

adai

druddle00

Hi adai,

Thanks or your help.  Did you get anywhere with this ?  To give some more information, the customers has a Pillar Axiom sharing data via NFS and we want to replicate data for about 6 months to a FAS at a DR site.  I have looked at things like rsync but we dont want to have to start writing scripts for things, as the FAS needs to act as a DR solution temporarily.

Dave

adaikkap

NFS works perfectly fine,and can be backed up from any linux or unix host.

I havent checked the CIFS shares for backing up from Windows host

Regards

adai

scottgelb

The OSSV limitations state that back-end CIFS/NFS mounted storage is not supported for OSSV.

https://now.netapp.com/knowledge/docs/ossv/rel30/pdfs/install.pdf

Open Systems SnapVault software does not support the following:

• Remote NFS or CIFS file systems that have been mounted on or mapped to UNIX or Windows primary storage systems

adaikkap

Its works, but maybe there are cases where it could fail, or cause issue which I may not be aware of.

But its better the customer is using a supported solution.

Regards

adai

druddle00

Hi adai

Is there a way to find out if this can be added as a feature, or supported ?  I have this requirement in a bid where we are trying to remove Pillar and EMC and replace with NetApp.

Dave

smoot

I'll forward your request to the OSSV product manager but I can't promise anything.

-- Pete

druddle00

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your message.  I spoke to KK and he said to raise a PVR, as you already have some PVRs for this apparently.

Dave

henrypan1

Hi Dave,

I was wonder what is your solution to copy data to/from CIFS mounted WinServ file system to NetApp filer?

Could you keep the same path?

Thanks & Good w/e

Henry

druddle00

Hi Henry,

The data on the NetApp will be for DR purposes for about 6 months so it wont need to be presented to a server at the same time as the source (only in the event of DR failover).

Dave

mikegomez

Hi All,

I am the engineer now having to implement this. The PVR is 12088

Can anyone please offer any guidance on how to set this up.

or send me the PVR document with explicit instructions.

I am trying this out in a test environment and have installed ossv2.6.1 on a RHEL5.6 VM.

But it does not work ... even though it seemed to install ok.

(the manual suggest RHEL5.0, maybe it must be only that version )

Mike

Public