ONTAP Discussions

OSSV 3.0 on Windows 2003 SP2: Getting error "supports NDMP protocol version 3 but we need version 4"

bobby_gillette

Just downloaded the client from the NOW site, not sure if it's an issue with the OS or something hokey with OSSV. Has anyone seen this error before and what did you do to resolve it? My Google-Fu has thus far let me down on this topic.

Thoughts?

TIA,

Bobby

4 REPLIES 4

shaunjurr

Hi,

Try running 'ndmpd version' on your filer.

You gave very little detail about what your are doing or trying to do.

bobby_gillette

OSSV backup to a secondary volume at our datacenter. Figured out the issue, downloaded the latest version of OSSV from the NOW site and reinstalled, resolved issue.

KHADERAZEEZ

Hi boby, we faced exact same issue. We downloaded and installed the latest verstion 3.0.1 of ossv from the now site but still we are facing the same issue. Please advice if you have made any other changes to fix the issue.

shinkirou

Old thread I know, but here's the answer:

DFM reports Protocol error: server xx.xx.xx.xx supports NDMP version 3, but we need version 4

KB ID: 2013094 Version: 4.0 Published date: 12/13/2013
Categories: Troubleshooting, DataFabric Manager, Data ONTAP 5 and 6

Symptoms

Trying to add a new primary system from the backup tab in the DataFabric® Manager (DFM) GUI generates an error similar to:

Protocol error: server xx.xx.xx.xx supports NDMP protocol version 3 but we need version 4

Cause

Server had an old Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) backup software installed on it (NDMP v3).

Solution

Verify that any NDMP software installed on the host is capable of using NDMP version 4.  If the software cannot use NDMPv4, then it should be removed from the host.

This issue can also be caused by another backup software installed on the host (with Open Systems SnapVault® (OSSV) running as well). In that specific case, change the default listening port for either, and both should be able to run.
Backup exec = 11000
NDMP (DFM / OSSV) = 10000

Public