ONTAP Discussions

OSSV / SnapVault Newbie - Scheduling an automatic update.

rvandolson

7-Mode ONTAP 8.1.2P4 as a secondary system and OSSV on Windows as a primary.  I have a relationship established and have been doing manual, periodic "snapvault update"s to bring across changes.

I want to schedule this, but I'm not sure that snapvault snap sched is what I'm after or not.  It seems to be about retaining snapshots of data and really I just want to keep one copy -- as up to date as possible (once an hour or so).  We're preparing for a migration.

Maybe I do something like:

snapvault snap sched -x  hourly 1@mon-fri@0-23

?

Thanks,

Ray

3 REPLIES 3

lhoffman1

Hi Ray,

you are right,  if you keep just one Snapshot you can set this with your mentioned scheduler.

With your settings,  every hour will be made a snap and the previous snap will be deleted automaticly. 

Notice: often the connection between the Filer and the  OSSV Clients/Hosts are not optimal (bandwith?)

and in that case,  there is a bigger change rate,  1 hour could be pretty narrow for transferring new data to the destination.

regards

Lutz

rvandolson

Thanks, Lutz.  I'll give this a try.  Our change rate has (so far) been as such that I can do an update within one and a half hours even after 7-8 hours of lag.  But your point is well taken.  I'll probably start with a wider window to be safe.

lhoffman1

welcome.

I wish you success !

Public