ONTAP Discussions

OSSV restore fails via DFM (NetApp management console) Error- Connection had exception | Failed to connect to filer

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Hi,

OSSV restore fails via DFM (NetApp management console)

Error- Connection had exception | Failed to connect to filer

'FAS01:/vol/OSSV_FAS_SATA11/qfsn1/xyz e:/RDS-Data/xyz  Failed to connect to filer

Debug log:
LFB: Need 92 chars to store wide copy of UTF8 'FAS01:/vol/OSSV_FAS_SATA11/qfsn1/xyz e:/RDS-Data/xyz Restore Operation Failed'

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

-Ashwin

5 REPLIES 5

ASHWINPAWARTESL

This issue is resolved.

I opened a case with NetApp and it was down to blocked interface.

Error in OSSVIFO during restore:
QSM Server connected to FILER on port 10566 (inet)
Connection had exception
Failed to connect to filer

pktt trace showed:
SYN packets on port 10566 were ignored.

'netstat -abnp tcp' on the ossv host showed, SYN_SENT but never got ESTABLISHED status.
TCP   [OSSV]  52202        [FILER]:10566      SYN_SENT
[qsmserver.exe]

This means that, OSSV Host sent a SYN packet to create TCP connection with FILER, but filer kept ignoring the packet, and the connection was never established.

Root Cause: 

interface.blocked.snapmirror had the snapvault interface listed. Therefore, SYN packets on port 10566 were ignored.

Solution:

Remove the interface from snapmirror blocked list.

vineetanandjha

HI ashwin,

I am facing similar issue while restoring from netapp management console. i got a work around to restore by shareing the Qtree using CIFS and copying the file i needed to restore, but still i can restore using Netapp management console (dfm). can u help me to restore using Netapp management console (dfm). on my filer snap mirror is off .

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Hi Vineet,

I would request you to open a new discussion thread for this issue. Also, mention the error message you see in the DFM Job log. Have you tried running snapvault restore via command line from the OSSV Host, does it also fail with the same error message that you get in the DFM console. I presume here, Backups are working fine.

Thanks,

-Ashwin

ROGIERBURLAGE

Great thank you Ashwin, this was exactly my problem! (got to wonder why an interface of an ossv ndmp operation is blocked by a snapmirror option).

ASHWINPAWARTESL

SnapVault technology uses the (QSM) Qtree SnapMirror engine to actually send the data across. Hence, this option (interface.blocked.snapmirror) applies to SnapVault/OSSV as well. NDMP is used for NDMP-based management applications (DFM), OSSV hosts will listen for NDMP-based management applications such as Protection Manager on port 10000.

This 'interface.blocked.snapmirror' essentially keeps the filer from responding to any requests for snapmirror replications when they arrive on the interfaces listed. Since OSSV interface was in the blocked list, Filer ignored the SYN packets.

Thanks,
-Ashwin

Public