ONTAP Discussions

Obtaining per-interface network information from Data ONTAP 7.3.1

rich_oliveri

Hi,

I have an application that's based on NetApp Manageability SDK 4.0 that I've been using to extract information from filers running Data ONTAP 7.3.3.

I recently needed to extract the same information from older filers, running Data ONTAP 7.3.1. Pointing my application at the older filers, all of the SDK

calls seem to work, except one, that being net-ifconfig-get. I'm using this method to get ip-addresses and aliases for each network interface.

My question is this: is there another method or mechanism I can use to obtain this ip-address information, that is compatible with Data ONTAP 7.3.1 filers?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ryanc

The only way to accomplish this with older filers via ZAPI is to use the unsupported system-cli call. In Java, this would look something like:

NaElement api = new NaElement("system-cli");

NaElement argsElement = new NaElement("args");

api.addChildElem(argsElement);

argsElement.addNewChild("arg", "ifconfig");

argsElement.addNewChild("arg", "-a");

NaElement output = server.invokeElem(api);

Then write some code to parse out the results via regex. This approach is not with out it's drawbacks.

-ryan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ryanc

The only way to accomplish this with older filers via ZAPI is to use the unsupported system-cli call. In Java, this would look something like:

NaElement api = new NaElement("system-cli");

NaElement argsElement = new NaElement("args");

api.addChildElem(argsElement);

argsElement.addNewChild("arg", "ifconfig");

argsElement.addNewChild("arg", "-a");

NaElement output = server.invokeElem(api);

Then write some code to parse out the results via regex. This approach is not with out it's drawbacks.

-ryan

rich_oliveri

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I think I've found another way to accomplish this as well. I used the ONTAP snmp-get and snmp-get-next methods to extract the information from the filer's MIB.

It helps if you have a MIB browser, to determine the needed OIDs.

This works on older filers, and it also seems to work even when SNMP isn't enabled (I guess because going through the ONTAP API).

Thanks again,

Rich

Public