ONTAP Discussions

OnCommand 5.0 Hyper-V to SnapVault Secondary

lyndonfrei

I'm getting really frustrated here with the whole DFM story, I don't seem to get along with Protection and Provisioning Manager.

We recently got a SATA shelf in order to backup our SMHV snapshots from SAS to SATA where I had to find out the current set of Tools consisting of DFM or Protection Manager wasn't yet able to do that together with SMHV and I had to wait for OnCommand 5.0.

Now I've got OnCommand 5.0 Core and Host running with Hyper-V Plug-in all fine doing local snapshot backups in my cluster. But I cannot seem to get secondary backups running, nor even configured. All the overwhelming information and documentation doesn't really translate to my intentions. I find all the training videos showing the advantages of policy driven backups are all quite conceptional and there is no real hands on demo in them.

Merely getting schedules, policies, resource pools and storage services togheter twists my brains and the templates don't help either as there is some aspects I am missing, like how do I make it choose SnapVault rather SnapMirror? The scenarios in the workflow documents are all only part of my plans and I don't seem to just be able to combine them, allthough I've figured out that for my case I need to do one part in OnCommand console and the other in NetApp Management console.

Here's what I wan't to accomplish:

Backup my VMs on the primary storage node locally via snapshots on the SAS disk aggregate/volume, keeping a retention like 5 daylies, 2 weeklies and 1 monthly. I've successfully configured this with OnCommand console and see in the policy editor I'd be able to choose a storage service for further protection.

But here lies my true headache. I'd like my snapshots to be transfered daily/nightly via SnapVault to my secondary storage node holding SATA disk and keep a retention of 1 daily, 5 weeklies and 6 monthlies. Could somebody give me step-by-step procedure to picture this in the NetApp Management console?

TIA

Lyndon

2 REPLIES 2

nikhilm

Hi,

1. Create a storage services having primary/secondary resource pools, provision and protection(Backup) policy using NMC.

OR alternatively you can use canned Storage Services for HyperV , here edit resource pool and policies.

2.  Create or edit VM dataset under OnCommand Console using above Storage services.

3.  Select local policy in Edit dataset page, click ">" symbol , you will get policy details. Here click on "view" option in hourly , daily... row . Select option  "Start remote backup after local backup".

4. Run conformance the dataset.

5. Goto dataset tab in OnCommand Consle, select your dataset and click "Backup Now".

This should protect your hyperV local backups to secondary.

Thanks

Nikhil

lyndonfrei

Hello Nikhil

Thank you for your quick response.

Generally I have taken the steps you've explained. But there are a lot of aspects I'm missing herein and problems I encounter when the conformance engine kicks in.

• 1. I do not understand the need to assign a primary resource pool because my primary storage is initiated and has been running fine for quite a while now before intending to implement 2nd tier and D2D. Will it fail if I neglect to do this?
  • 1. I'm not sure what storage type of provisioning policy to create. I'd guess secondary, but I've seen SAN gives me more options concerning volume/Lun creation
  • 1. Where do I define if SnapMirror or SnapVault has to be used? The canned Storage Services all have mirroring.
  • 2. done that...
  • 3. are schedules not effective within protection policies since it is run right after primary backup per this option? What about throttles?
  • 4. conformance tells me the following:
    Error:ds_ProdVMs_HV01: Provisioning a new flexible volume (backup secondary) failed
    Action:ds_ProdVMs_HV01: No physical resources exist, so thin provision a new flexible volume (backup secondary) of size 2267742734 KB for qtree rba3bsc04:/vol_HyperV_ProdSys01/- into node 'Backup' and then attempt to create a backup relationship using Qtree SnapMirror. I wan't to do SnapVault, because I though SnapMirror partners keep the exact same snapshots, so different retention times wouldn't work?!
    Reason:ds_ProdVMs_HV01: Storage system : 'rba3bsc05'(77): - The requested size 2.11 TB is more than the maximum size allowed for a deduplication volume. The maximum size on model FAS2050 and ONTAP version 7.3.4 is 2.00 TB. How is the provisining size beeing calculated? If I disable dedupe on the provisioning policy will I be able to shrink the volume and reactivate dedupe after the initial run?

Hopefully my questions are clear...

Kind regards

Lyndon

ds_ProdVMs_HV01:  Provisioning a new flexible volume (backup secondary) failed.
ds_ProdVMs_HV01: No physical resources exist,  so thin provision a new flexible volume (backup secondary) of size 2267742734 KB  for qtree rba3bsc04:/vol_HyperV_ProdSys01/- into node 'Backup' and then attempt  to create a backup relationship using Qtree SnapMirror.
ds_ProdVMs_HV01: Storage system :  'rba3bsc05'(77): - The requested size 2.11 TB is more than the maximum size  allowed for a deduplication volume. The maximum size on model FAS2050 and ONTAP  version 7.3.4 is 2.00 TB.
Public