ONTAP Discussions

OnCommand Dataset's and datalag

michaeldparker

Using Host 1.0, I created a dataset with a protection policy that mirrors to a 2nd array then performs a backup once the mirror is complete.  When I created the dataset, OnCommand automatically created the relationships to make the dataset conformant.

The volume has 3 qtrees inside with a lun used for a vmware datastore inside each qtree.  Using the host plugin, I created the dataset so that the backup will backup each datastore.  Everything works but OnCommand automatically created 4 relationships between the mirror and backup like this :

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/-   ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1  Snapvaulted    32:40:30   Idle

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/q1  ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/q1                              Snapvaulted    11:14:58   Idle

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/q2  ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/q2                              Snapvaulted    11:14:58   Idle

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/q3  ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/q3                              Snapvaulted    11:14:58   Idle

When the backup occurs, all relationships get updated, but the first which is in bold.  As a result, I continually get errors about datalag.  How do I get OnCommand to automatically update that relationship as well?

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

arunchak

Hi Michael,

You can create dummy lun and dummy VM in the root volume, attach this dummy datastore to your dataset, so the relationship should keep getting updated as and when the scheduled backup of the dataset runs and hence avoide lag.

I don't see any harm in your method of creating a cron job for updating the relationships manually either.

AFAIK, there should be no problem in having LUN on Qtree.

Let us know if you need any further information. We would be pleased to assist you.

Thanks,

Arun

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Public