ONTAP Discussions

OnTap 9.1 OnCommand Port Monitoring

JAL

All,

We just installed a new FAS8200 with OnTap 9.1.  When you log into OnCommand System Manager and go to the Dashboard, there is a section named "Alerts and Notifications" that is showing in Red, that 4 ports are down.  These 4 ports are actually not being used and not plugged into any switches.

My question is, is there a way to stop the alerts for said ports being they are unused?  I have tried disabling them and also tried setting the port to,  -ignore-health-status true, however, this did not stop the alerts from showing a port down.

Thanks for any help,

-joe

10 REPLIES 10

Naveenpusuluru

Hi @JAL

Even i have noticed the same issue with my box.

We have an options called

networl port delete -node node1 -port e0c

in diag mode, but i am scared of trying that option. 😛

JAL

Thanks for the reply.  I did try your first port with the comman:

network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -broadcast-domain BD1 -ports Cluster1-01:e0c -ipspace Default

However, that did not remove the ports from the Alerts area. It seems that this is not an Alert we can remove but, I'm still searching.

Thanks,

-joe

MKELLYSCSC

We are running ONTAP 8.3.2 and I've noticed that when you log in to OnCommand, it searches the event logs for any CRITICAL events that were logged in the past 24 hours.

If the errors are not showing more than 24 hours after starting the system, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this is also the case with ONTAP 9.1.

Hope this helps.

FredHutchServerOps

Just spent some time with NA Support on this same issue, apparently it's a known bug and we're trying to find a workaround.

We tried the same "ignore-health" mod with no change. 

We also tried "network port delete" as these ports aren't in use. The system won't let us delete a physical port.

QL-Ryan_Rothert

What is the bug #? Id like to open a case and associate my controllers affected to this bug.  

FredHutchServerOps

It's actually an RFE (Request for Feature Enhancement) # 956352. If you search for it you can subscibe to track it but the only information given is "Bug information not available."

Gotta love it. If every time I enter my house, the smoke alarm is going off with a false alarm, and I ask my landlord to fix the problem, am I requesting a feature? Should I be happy when they tell me it'll be fixed when I move? Or that they've fixed the problem and I just need to paint the place for it to take effect? </rant>

JulienC

Is there any news about this ?

sgrant

Unfortuantely not at this moment. You can monitor the status with this KB article:

OnCommand System Manager 9.0 and newer report administratively down interfaces under the Dashboard: https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka11A0000008kA8QAI/System-Manager-reports-down

Thanks,

Grant.

Bernd_Loecke

1) logged on with putty

then

set -privilege advanced

network port show -fields up-admin    (list all ports with up-admin true/false)

network port

changed the up-admin from true to false for all ports that are not connected

modify -node node001-01 -port e0f -up-admin false
modify -node node001-02 -port e0f -up-admin false

now the error messages in the dashboard are gone.

Document all changes!

OGill

@Bernd_Loecke wrote:

1) logged on with putty

then

set -privilege advanced

network port show -fields up-admin    (list all ports with up-admin true/false)

network port

changed the up-admin from true to false for all ports that are not connected

modify -node node001-01 -port e0f -up-admin false
modify -node node001-02 -port e0f -up-admin false

now the error messages in the dashboard are gone.

Document all changes!

This only works since ONTAP 9.4. With ONTAP 9.3 and earlier OnCommand System Manager did not check the administrative status of a port and only checked if it is up or down.

Public