ONTAP Discussions

Possible to upgrade a diskless 6240 via netboot?

bjacobsen

Hello,

I'm doing a 6070 to 6240 head swap, with the 6070 at 8.0.1p5 and the 6240 currently at 8.0.2p4. Due to some critical issues with 8.0.2p4, I need to get both controllers up to 8.0.3 or 8.1. I know I can upgrade the 6070 to whatever version we decide on, then head swap as usual, netboot the 6240 to that same version, reassign disks and destroy mailboxes, then netboot again and upgrade. However, I'd feel a bit more comfortable with the process if I could upgrade the 6240 ahead before the head swap. Is that possible via netboot and the maintenance mode environment, or does the ONTAP upgrade require a root volume?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

aborzenkov

With 8.x netboot is supported only for re-imaging of boot device, so you should not be able to go into maintenance mode after netboot, but you should be able to install new Data ONTAP version using “Install new software” boot menu option.

Head swap with with 8.x is complicated by need to restore varfs before it is overwritten ☺ I have not seen step by step instructions; actually, after NOW redesign all instructions for head swap disappeared. So I believe that procedure should be

- install software on boot device

- go to maintenance mode (booting from boot device) and reassign disks

- go to boot menu and select “Update flash from backup config”

- finally confirm that serial number has really changed during next boot

If you could describe procedure you followed for this head swap, it would be very helpful.

Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 7:43 AM

To: Borzenkov, Andrey

Subject: - Possible to upgrade a diskless 6240 via netboot?

<https://communities.netapp.com/index.jspa>

Possible to upgrade a diskless 6240 via netboot?

created by bjacobsen<https://communities.netapp.com/people/bjacobsen> in Data ONTAP - View the full discussion<https://communities.netapp.com/message/81844#81844>

Hello,

I'm doing a 6070 to 6240 head swap, with the 6070 at 8.0.1p5 and the 6240 currently at 8.0.2p4. Due to some critical issues with 8.0.2p4, I need to get both controllers up to 8.0.3 or 8.1. I know I can upgrade the 6070 to whatever version we decide on, then head swap as usual, netboot the 6240 to that same version, reassign disks and destroy mailboxes, then netboot again and upgrade. However, I'd feel a bit more comfortable with the process if I could upgrade the 6240 ahead before the head swap. Is that possible via netboot and the maintenance mode environment, or does the ONTAP upgrade require a root volume?

Thanks.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on NetApp Community<https://communities.netapp.com/message/81844#81844>

Start a new discussion in Data ONTAP by email<mailto:discussions-community-products_and_solutions-data_ontap@communities.netapp.com> or at NetApp Community<https://communities.netapp.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2877>

bjacobsen

Maybe it makes sense to just upgrade the 6070 to 8.0.2P4, do the head swap and then upgrade to 8.0.3 or 8.1 from there. I'll be upgrading the 6070 immediately before the head swap, so I really don't need to be concerned with the SnapMirror issues present in 8.0.2P4 as I'll only be on that version very briefly.

I have the head swap doc for 8.0.1 and it makes no mention of the "Update flash from backup config" step. Can you elaborate on what that step does and whether it's really necessary?

scottgelb

I have seen that option when replacing a boot card on a system. Since the card is formatted when replacing. But haven't seen on a head swap plan when flash is already installed. Unless varfs needs to be restored after head swap from what Andrey has run into but I haven't seen that. There may be a new procedure pending which would be good to know.

aborzenkov

Procedure I suggested was a mix of head swap and boot device replacement, so “Update flash from backup config” was part of boot device replacement ☺

I agree, it would be easier (also if bad comes to worst and you need to call support) to follow documented guides and first do head swap with known versions and then upgrade.

“Update flash from backup config” restores varfs from copy located in root volume (or, in the worst case, from network using tftp). varfs is used to keep some non-volatile configuration. From my experience it includes current time zone, diag user when unlocked, some EMS settings. May be more. I checked SSH host key which is saved by PuTTY and it is from /mroot and not from varfs so I probably had some other problem.

bjacobsen

I kept it simple, upgraded the 6080 to 8.0.2P4, did the head swap, and then upgraded to 8.0.3. For the benefit of anyone else searching for head swap procedures, the following script was a lifesaver as we were dealing with hundreds of LUNs that would have otherwise needed re-serial-ed manually:

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-2369

scottgelb

Good to know.. I’ve had mixed results with lun serial numbers after head swap but definitely a list of things to check after (WWN, WWPNs if port changes after swap unless rezoning after).

scottgelb

This should work...but have to take some iterations of a process to get it to the boot menu then option 7 to update software.  I would setup the Service Processor and then you can access both SP and e0M for all networking.  Many don't know but you can setup the SP from the loader prompt (very useful for V-Series installs without NetApp disk shelves) in advanced mode.

I'd try something like this... you can't hurt anything since no disks attached yet and standalone controllers...

1) CTRL-C to break boot before the system comes up to get to the loader prompt.

2) loader> priv set advanced

3) loader*> sp setup                    # get the SP setup then you can have console access...even direct attach your laptop and get both SP then e0M which you'll configure next

*** confirm you can get to the SP on the network (or use a console still but assuming you are using e0M next but could be any network port)

4) loader> ifconfig e0M -addr=filer_addr -mask=netmask   # can also enter but likely don't need if on your laptop on the same network -gw=gateway -dns=dns_addr -domain=dns_domain

5) loader> boot_ontap

6) wait for special boot menu prompt then CTRL-C to break boot

7) choose option (7) Install new software first

😎 choose a path to install software...same as if you are netbooting but specify the target      http://path_to_the_web-accessible_directory/image.tgz

9) Then you will enter "Y" to reboot

10) confirm the ONTAP version is the matching one 8.0.3 or 8.1

No guarantees on this but should be close steps to experiment with and get the flash installed...

Another brute force method is to write to the flash card with a card writer on your laptop...but safer to install from the controller itself.

aborzenkov

Does 62xx have flash card? I thought it have UFM module?

And the problem is not really to reimage boot device, but to make sure configuration is preserved after that ☺ It is documented for simple boot device replacement, but not for additional head swap => sysid change.

scottgelb

Normal head swap can happen after matching ontap. I have use it for gx in the past.

I haven't tried pulling the memory card out but has to be a slot type we can write to on a laptop.

scottgelb

Thinking about it more, I'd like to take out the boot card and see what type the module is and what port type we need to read and were it.

For 8.x 7-mode head swaps we haven't seen issues in the lab and a recent one at a customer from a 3070 to 3270. I don't remember having to restore from backup option 6 but makes sense having to do that

aborzenkov

Well, the most obvious effect is change of SSH key (and possibly SSL certs as well) and loss of activated diag user. Customization of EMS is also kept in varfs, but it is probably not something done often.

I wish we had KB that described what varfs is actually used for.

scottgelb

I didn't run into those issues but only a few 8.x head swaps so far. I have had to redo ssl after moving a rootvol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

scottgelb

Got a picture of the boot device...have seen the blue casing but never opened one to see this yet.  Looks like connecting to a laptop might not be so easy unless someone knows what kind of connector to this device (attached picture)

Public