ONTAP Discussions

Problems upgrading FAS2040 from 7.3.6 to 8.2.1 via upgrade advisor

MHS

Hello

We have 2 FAS2040 for archiv (snaplock) and backup-devices (using nfs and cifs) - running 7.3.6P5

the 2nd machine is actual used as backup-device for the 1st. So I've tried my first ontap-upgrade with our 2nd FAS2040.

At first, the upgeade advisor mentioned, there is no direct path for upgrading to 8.2.1 and offers me 8.1.4.

After upgrading I recognize:

- my trunc of the 4x1Gb interfaces is deleted

- there is a new interface named "losk".

- There is a very old IP "reactivated" from the first setup hours on the second interface - FATAL while this interface was new defined one year ago or so for another NAS-system!

Next - Upgrading via upgrade advisor - want update to 8.2.1q via "software update 821_q_image.tgz -R" I get the message:

ERROR: Model 'FAS2040' is not supported by this package...

So upgrade advisor has a problem, my FAS2040 has a problem or the software-image has one?

Give me an advice.

4 REPLIES 4

JGPSHNTAP

Stefan,

Make sure you triple check your documentation with snaplock and you might want to open a case just in case b/c of snaplock.

Also, you are using the wrong image for 2040's.  You most likely need the e image.  it has to do with chipset.  At least that has been my experience with 8.1.x.  I don't have experience with 8.2.x.

JGPSHNTAP

One more thing, make sure you can go directly to 8.2 from 7.3.6 with snaplock.  You might have to make an intermediary upgrade to 8.1.x and then to 8.2.   Hence the reason to double-check with snaplock

resqme914

Regarding why you reverted back to your old IP's and lost your trunked interfaces... the most likely scenario is that changes were made to your network settings in the distant past, and the /etc/rc file was never updated properly.  Usually these problems remain undiscovered until the next reboot of the controller and that could be months later.  Before you do an upgrade (or anything else that will reboot your controllers) you should make sure your /etc/rc and other important config files are correct  (and back them up, too).

JGPSHNTAP

Ah, yes I missed that part, that is 100% correct. I recommend running

config advisor against any filer before upgrading as well

Public