ONTAP Discussions

Protection Manager Snapvault base snapshot missing

leongkoklow

I got a situation whereby the base snapshot at source is missing and destination common snapshots cannot match on the source.

During dataset schedule backup, the job failed.

I saw from other post of relinquish the dataset but when I tried it shown cannot find the relationship.

Anyone have face this before and what the work around.

3 REPLIES 3

amirm

Hello,

Since the base snapshot from primary is lost, probably the only options available is to re-baseline. One of the way to achieve this is:

1. Suspend the original dataset
  2. Create a new dataset
  3. Add the volume from original dataset to this newly create dataset. This will create a new SV relationships from same primary volume to new secondary volume.
  4. By this you can still retain the snapshot copies at the secondary created with old SV relationship as per the retention level set. Any new backup for this volume will use new SV relationship created with new dataset.

Regards,

-Amir

leongkoklow

hi Amirm,

Thanks for the reply, I am trying not to re-baseline to reduce traffic transfer between source and destination. And most work around I saw still do not meet this.

adaikkap

Hi,

When a base snapshot is lost there is no way with out a re-baseline. As the name signifies its the base, without which any resync or modify cant be done.

Regards

adai

Public