ONTAP Discussions

Protection Manager and SnapManager for SQL

erick_moore

How are most people setting this up?  We have Protection Manager, and SnapManager for SQL, however we do not have a SnapVault license.  Are most people trying to time their protection manager settings to coincide with SMSQL backups?  i.e. You setup a nightly SMSQL backup at 2AM.  Do you then manually create a data set that includes all the SQL LUN's for that system, and set it up to snap and mirror to dr (as an example) at 3AM?

6 REPLIES 6

prasads

Hi Erick,

AFAIK, you have to create a Application Dataset in Protection Manager(PM) from SM SQL.

So whenever SM SQL takes a backup(snapshot), it will register with the PM.

Then as per the protection policy schedule, PM will copy the backup to the secondary storage system.

And yes you can go & edit the policy schedule in PM.

If you manually create a dataset (DS) then I think PM will create local backups on the Primary which may not be application consistent.

This backup might not be good for restoring.

My 2 cents

Regards,

Prasad

erick_moore

The only option I get for PM in SMSQL is under the "Data Protection" step on the configuration wizard, and that is to setup an Archival Policy.  That requires a SV license which we don't have.  Is there some other way to do this that I am missing?

bmorse

Do you have a SM license?

erick_moore

Sure do.  In the SMSQL documentation the only integration I see mentioned is for SnapVault.  So does this mean without a SnapVault license I won't get a clean integration?  I really don't care to SnapVault this data anyway.  I just want to replicate it over the WAN.  I can do it manually, I can do it with SMSQL (Update Mirror options), and I can do it with Protection Manager, but the process seems really kludgy if it is relying on me to time my protection based on when I think the SMSQL jobs will finish.

bmorse

Erick,

AFAIK, PM only supports SnapVault relationships or "Remote Backups".

ianaforbes

PM doesn't support mirroring? I thought I read that it does? I have the same concerns with SME integration. I'd like to be able to use SME and PM to backup AND snapmirror my SME backups. Is this possible?

Public