ONTAP Discussions

Protection Manager and Tape-backup

mheimberg

Dear all

As I already suggested in several threads I would find it a good thing if PM would be able to generate SnapShot names with a generic naming convention (like __recent). It would make things like backing up to tape much easier...

So far my whish is unheard, but in the Best-practice guide TR-3710 there is a chapter "Backing up to tape" - unfortunately it is a bit to short....

The problem is: how do I find out, which is the most recent snapshot?

Are there any examples around for scripts, eg. for Symantec NetBackup, Bakbone NetVault, Atempo TimeNavigator ...?

THX

Markus

2 REPLIES 2

BrendonHiggins

When you set up SME/SMQSL via the wizard it gives you two options "unique" when the snapshop name is the date time or "something".  If you select something {sorry forgot name} the most current snapshot is called recent.  Configure your applications to use the recent snapshot.  Beware this is renamed every time the snapshot is created so be sure the tape job is finished when the next snapshot is created.

The other option is to select "run other job once completed" in SME/SMSQL.  This will then give you the option to pass the snapshot name to a script.

Hope this heps

Bren

mheimberg

Hi Bren

Thanks for the hints.

When you set up SME/SMQSL via the wizard it gives you two options "unique" when the snapshop name is the date time or "something". 

The "something" is called "generic naming"

In fact we are already using Bakbone NetVault where the job just copies away the __recent-snaps to tape by NDMP.

The mentioned script-parameter should also work with the unique-naming I think, but never tried it.

Anayway: the question is: does Protection Manager has a similar function? So far I have nothing seen....so should a script look like in PM?

Regards
Markus

BTW: saw your video ... "...if an application can do a restore under 90 seconds we will discuss it, if not, there is no discussion." ...great remark, seldom had so much fun.

Public