ONTAP Discussions

Provisioning manager vFiler migrate fails with "volume exists on desitination" - won't refresh with dfm host discover

fletch2007

Hi,

I'm deleting the existing volume on the snapmirror destination to make way for vFiler migrate to re-init the snapmirror.

But Provisioning Manager is erroring out in the vFiler migrate (see below) since it thinks the deleted volume is still existing on the destination.

I follow the suggestion to run dfm host discover <filer with deleted volume> and tried it several times via the MC refresh, but it will not clear.

Any ideas besides rebooting the DFM?

thanks

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===
Error:    Attention: Failed to select a resource.
=== ACTION ===
Select a destination resource for migrating
=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'na01.school.edu'(151):
     - Volumes by same name as 'video' already exist on the storage system 'irt-na01.stanford.edu'(151).

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'na01.school.edu'(151):
     - Destroy the volumes on the storage system and refresh host information either by executing 'dfm host discover' CLI or navigate to 'Hosts > Storage Systems' page in Management Console and press 'Refresh' button.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

Hello  fletch2007,

DFM doesn't immediately update its DB when some volumes are deleted from the filer. Even if you do numerous discoveries the DFM will retain the volume information for 1 hour. This is purposely done.

To get over your problem, you need not reboot the dfm server.

just do the following.

dfm volume delete <volume_name or ID>

to see the volumes do

dfm volume list <filer_name>

It will delete the volume info immediately from your DFM db and allow you to proceed.

I hope this helps.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sinhaa

Hello  fletch2007,

DFM doesn't immediately update its DB when some volumes are deleted from the filer. Even if you do numerous discoveries the DFM will retain the volume information for 1 hour. This is purposely done.

To get over your problem, you need not reboot the dfm server.

just do the following.

dfm volume delete <volume_name or ID>

to see the volumes do

dfm volume list <filer_name>

It will delete the volume info immediately from your DFM db and allow you to proceed.

I hope this helps.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

fletch2007

Wow - 3 solutions in these forums today - you guys rock!!

thanks

http://vmadmin.info

Public