ONTAP Discussions

QUESTION - When volumes move when protection manager is protecting them

emanuel

Questions are coming up about what happens when a source or destination volume has to move because of some bizzare reason.

My client wants to know "how smart" is protection manager when a volume is moved ( either source of destination ) and can protection manager handle it.  My response would be it would not know if you just up and moved one of these volumes.  I do not believe there is a function available to relocate part or whole of a relationship for some reason.  I have found a KB article about how to move a source volume on a snapvault relationship ... ( see below ) ... but this is a manual process.  could you stop a job in protection manager long enough to perform a manual snapmirror based on this article, then resume once the volume relocation in question has been completed.

I have been asked about moving a primary or a secondary but not both ( although i am sure i will be ).

If this is possible i would still have to be mindful of the resource group a destination volume is a part of, if i moved a volume outside the resource group would this still be okay?

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb48810

5 REPLIES 5

adaikkap

Hi Emanuel,

PM is not intelligent to know the volumes that are moved outside manually.

But for moving a volume from the primary we have two ways, but both are vFiler migrate, online(Data Motion) and Offline migration.

For moving SV/QSM/VSM destination volumes we have Secondary space management which will move the volume from one aggr to another within the same or to a different filer.

Yes you will need to create a RP out of the aggr to which you are planning to migrate, and add it to the respective nodes of the dataset.

If you move the volume outside pm, then you will have to remove the relationships, from the dataset, do the manual process, and then import them as external relationships.

By this you lose old backup version, and will have to manually take care of the downstream relationship if any.

But you VFiler migrate or SSM PM will take care of all this.

Regards

adai

emanuel

Okay a little confused but getting there ...

I believe their question on "moving" volumes would be from a NON-VFILER context so no Vfiler Migrate or Data Motion on the primary.  The offline migration i am assuming is the KB article i found for using SM to move a volume and have SV update and modify manually.  If I perform this manual operation, i will have to remove the dataset from protection manager and then reimport it -- but doing this correctly i can preserve the existing backups and preserve the baseline.

If I migrate a secondary volume ... it seems to me the easiest way to perform this is to use Secondary Space Management which creates a job based workload to manage and move secondary storage from one location to another ... and it will keep relationships intact?

Emanuel

smoot

Yes, I think you've got it.

If you use the secondary space management workflow, yes Protection Manager will keep all the relationships intact.

emanuel

Okay I will bring this with me to the dicussion tonight.

emanuel

Had the meeting with Altera; good discussion; will be following up with action items

Public