ONTAP Discussions

Question about exports?

deygaurab

Hi Folks,

I have a query.

I have a vfiler created on a specific vlan.say vlan100. I assign an IP address to the vfiler. Now, lets consider a scenerio.

I create 3 volumes. I add the first 2 volumes to the vfiler and then exports it to the necessary host. Assuming the host is in the same vlan , the host is able to mount the 2 volumes.

Now, coming back to the 3rd volume, I leave out the 3rd volume in vfiler0 and export it to the same host (the host is in vlan101). Will the host be able to see the 3rd volume exported from vfiler0?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ralfaro01zero

The host will handle vfiler0 and the other vfiler as 2 different machines, you should be able to mount exports from both vfilers.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ralfaro01zero

As long as routing is allowed between vlan 100 and 101 there shouldn't be a problem

deygaurab

Thanks Ricardo,

I made a little typo. The vlan in both cases is vlan100.

The comment should read

" I leave out the 3rd volume in vfiler0 and export it to the same host (the host is in vlan100)"

Cheers

Rahul

ralfaro01zero

The host will handle vfiler0 and the other vfiler as 2 different machines, you should be able to mount exports from both vfilers.

deygaurab

Thanks Ricardo

I think the primary reason why the host is able to mount the volumes from vfilerx (first 2 volumes )and vfiler0 (3rd volume) is because the IP address and vlan(vlan100) is defined vfiler0. Let me know if you agree?

Cheers

Rahul

ralfaro01zero

Rahul,

Just to be clear, if you want to mount an export from vfiler0 you have to use vfiler0s' IP, and if you want to mount an export from vfilerx you should use vfilerxs' IP, right? It doesn't matter if vfiler0 and vfilerx IPs are on the same VLAN as long as the IPs are different.

If you have the same directory exported on vfiler0 and vfilerx you can mount it with both vfilers' IPs.

Cheers.

deygaurab

Ricardo,

Thanks for the response.

Just wanted to be specific on my query. My vfilerx's IP is in virtual interface( vif-100)

My host's IP is in the same vlan(vlan 100) range.

1> My host is able to mount the resources from vfilerx

2> Will the same host be able to mount the 3rd volume(which is outside vfilerx) on vfiler0 ?

In a nutshell, my query is, If the vif interface (vif-100) is a configuration from both physical filer side and  vfiler side as well, where a resource if exported from the physcal filer  can be mounted on the host?

Cheers

Rahul

scottgelb

Yes.  You can mount vfiler0:/vol/volname and vfilerx:/vol/volname ... the targets are different IPs.  vFiler0 is fully functional as are additional vFilers created.  Most customers put all data in vFilers if they use vFilers, but still mount the root volume in vFiler0 for example.

deygaurab

Many thanks Scott

Cheers

Rahul

scottgelb

It can be confusing... especially with the default options nfs.export.auto-update on setting... vfiler0 will create an export for every volume even if owned by a vfiler.  When owned by a vFiler, vfiler0 can't take mounts to the volume since the vfiler handles the mounts.  So your exports file may have entries that aren't used.  Most new vfiler users also have to remember that each vfiler has its own root volume so you modify exports in the vfiler root/etc.

deygaurab

Thats right Scott,

Lets say my nfs.export.auto-update is set to off. In that case will the volume exported from vfiler0 to a host be mountable from the host? Considering the host has the IP from vlan 100 only?  from storage, I add another IP to vif-100 as an alias. The host would try to mount the volume with the alias IP as the target IP.

Cheers

scottgelb

If set to off then you manually add the export.

Hosts can mount an alias or first address assigned. Either way.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

deygaurab

Cheers mate

Public