ONTAP Discussions

Question re: Flash Pools and the Priority Scheduler

chute

The NetApp Flash Pool Design and Implementation Guide (TR-4070, attached) states on page 9. Flash Pool(s) can be configured on a volume-by-volume basis.

Ok, so with that being said I disabled read and write cache using the commands straight out of the doc. I am performing these steps on SnapMirror destinations.

priority hybrid-cache set sm_vol_pcinscl1_data_dest read-cache=none

priority hybrid-cache set sm_vol_pcinscl1_data_dest write-cache=none

So then I wanted to check and see if the commands had in fact taken. But I wasn't exactly sure how and so I was poking around a little bit. I ran the command below and received the following results.

ppnrdnetapp1*> priority show

Priority scheduler is stopped.

Priority scheduler system settings:

io_concurrency: 8

enabled_components: all

nvlog_cp_threshold: 50

nvlog_cp_completion: fast

My question is this. In order for my cache policies to apply, does the Priority scheduler need to be running? Or are they enabled simply by running the first command I mentioned? I couldn't really find anything in the TR which states otherwise.

I noticed that if I ran the command below I can see that a policy has been applied to a volume. 

priority hybrid-cache show sm_vol_pcinscl1_data_dest

Volume: sm_vol_pcinscl1_data_dest

Read Cache Policy: none

Write Cache Policy: none

So I just want to make sure I'm good here. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chute

Just to close the loop on this. I did some digging and the answer to my question is no.

> Question: In order for my cache policies to apply, does the Priority
> scheduler need to be running?

No, you don't need priority scheduler to be running inorder for your policies to take effect.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

chute

Just to close the loop on this. I did some digging and the answer to my question is no.

> Question: In order for my cache policies to apply, does the Priority
> scheduler need to be running?

No, you don't need priority scheduler to be running inorder for your policies to take effect.

Public