ONTAP Discussions

Reallocate Existing Volumes with Snapshots

MRJORDANG

Hello,

I've added several disks to an aggregate.   I'd like to reallocate existing volumes and snapshots of those volumes across the new disks in the aggregate.   Is there any way to reallocate a volume and its snapshots across the new disks in an aggregate?  

Everything I've come across seems to indicate that one must delete all volume snapshots before reallocating a volume across the new disks is possible.  I hope there is a way to reallocate volumes without deleting their snaps!  🙂

Thanks,

Jordan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kotapavan

Yes, you can use the -p option, but make sure the volume has some extra free space as the snapshot sizes grow more than expected as this is a physical reallocation.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MRJORDANG

Looks like I can use the -p option with the reallocate command.   (reallocate -p), Time to look into that option.

kotapavan

Yes, you can use the -p option, but make sure the volume has some extra free space as the snapshot sizes grow more than expected as this is a physical reallocation.

RAVI_PALADUGU

Please find the attached document for accurate information.

HENRYPAN2

Thanks Ravi for share the note

Cheers

Henry

MRJORDANG

Thanks for sharing the tech note!

RAVI_PALADUGU

Hi Jordang,

If you feel your question is answered you can please mark the question as answered.

Thanks

Ravi

MRJORDANG

Done.

aborzenkov

To redistribute data across disks you should use "reallocate -A". Simple reallocate will not touch snapshot data.

You should consider removeing aggregate snapshots, as reallocation will cause "growth" of them.

Public