ONTAP Discussions

Replace 2 failure disks with spare disks in the filer need your advise

HENRYPAN2

Good Morning NetApp Gurus,

One of my old filer is billy up with 2 disks failure in the same time within in the same RAID 4 Group which knock my application offline.

The filer did have spare disks stand by.

Would you be kind enough to share your expertere to suggest a procedure to replace those 2 disks & bring my app back online?

Thanks in advance & looking forward to hear from you soon.

Henry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

arunchak

Ha ha

right, that option will always be there...

And correct, with 2 disk failures in RAID4 you will not be able to rebuild . If you had some critical data then I think you should contact NetApp support, they might be able to help you retrieve it if you are lucky

Thanks,

Arun

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

maske

If you do a sysconfig -r are the disks in the aggr rebuilding/reconstructing with the spares?

If so let the reconstruction finish and make sure the aggr is back online with aggr status before pulling the other disks for replacement.

HENRYPAN2

Good Evening Doug,

The sysconfig -r show the aggr rebuilding/reconstructing is in stall status due to the 2nd disk within the same raid group fail immediately which kill the 1st reconstructing process.

This is a RAID 4 AGGR with only 5 disks in the raid group. With 2 out of 5 disk failure at the some time. I don't think that I'll be able to rebuild the AGGR :<(

Thanks for your kindly response.

Henry

arunchak

HI,

to add to that, you can replace the disk using "disk replace command"

stqa-3170-1> dsk replace ?

replace {start [-f] [-m] <disk_name> <spare_disk_name>} | {stop <disk_name>} - replace a file system disk with a spare disk or stop replacing

Thanks,

Arun

HENRYPAN2

Thanks Arun!

Another easy way will be just destroy the old AGGR, then recreate a new one instead:>)

Cheers

Henry

arunchak

Ha ha

right, that option will always be there...

And correct, with 2 disk failures in RAID4 you will not be able to rebuild . If you had some critical data then I think you should contact NetApp support, they might be able to help you retrieve it if you are lucky

Thanks,

Arun

HENRYPAN2

Salute to Arun for the correct answer!

Cheers

Henry

Public