Subscribe

Reporting Nodes Added Automatically When Moving iSCSI-Based Volumes?

A colleague of mine indicated he's never reconfigured reporting nodes when moving volumes containing LUNs from one HA Pair in a cluster to another HA Pair. My understanding from NetApp documentation has been that you have to add the destination nodes as reporting nodes in advance of a volume move if you want to retain optimized paths.

I created a volume as a test and moved it to another HA Pair without adjusting reporting nodes. Sure enough, the nodes I moved the volume to were added automatically to the list of reporting nodes for the LUN! This behavior contradicts NetApp documentation which indicates it must be done manually. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know if there's a scenario where it wouldn't happen automatically?

Re: Reporting Nodes Added Automatically When Moving iSCSI-Based Volumes?

Hi @TMADOCTHOMAS,

You are correct, this should be done manually based on our docs.

First sentence is "You can move a LUN across volumes within a storage virtual machine (SVM), but you cannot move a LUN across SVMs. LUNs moved across volumes within an SVM are moved immediately and without loss of connectivity."

I have to try it out in my lab...

Regards,

Ron.

@wronald,  I should note that I did the volume move in System Manager. I'm suspicious that this is the difference. Perhaps it would not work that way at the command line.

We are on OnTAP 9.2P2.

Yes, that might be it.

But it should be documented somewhere, at least as a note.

I will try tonight and get back to confirm if it is "normal".

I will then trigger a document update on our side.

Cheers,

Ronald.

Thanks!

I moved a few volumes using the CLI and the reporting nodes were added automatically. I am running Ontap 9.2P1, is this the new behavior or do I need add the reporting nodes manually to avoid an outage in the future. 

This is the new behavior. As Volumes and LUNs are moved from their original location to a new one, the reporting nodes are updated to include the new HA-Pair to prevent an outage. Once the new locataion is settled it's recommended to remove the previous reporting nodes unless you still wish them to be reported during any ALUA query.