ONTAP Discussions

Risks of volume efficiency undo command

RenaudTouillet

Hello,

After a migration from 7-mode 8.1 to cdot 8.3 we have a volume that has some depup issue. We opened a NetApp case and they recommended us to execute "volume efficiency undo" but they told me that it will also cause short cifs interruptions (which is not really great on a production volume...).

On the command man page, there's no info about any disconnection risks, so do someone have any feedback regarding the risk of this command? Or is it safe to run it on the volume outside a maintenance windows?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Renaud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Renifa

Hi,

As per Netapp documentation"https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMLP2348025/html/volume/efficiency/undo.html"  there should be no impact on the production while executing the "Efficiency Undo" command however a warning to be kept in mind "Adding more data while the 'efficiency undo' operation is in progress will cause the undo to fail if there is insufficient free space to complete the operation" hence prefered to do it during maintenance windows.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Renifa

Hi,

As per Netapp documentation"https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMLP2348025/html/volume/efficiency/undo.html"  there should be no impact on the production while executing the "Efficiency Undo" command however a warning to be kept in mind "Adding more data while the 'efficiency undo' operation is in progress will cause the undo to fail if there is insufficient free space to complete the operation" hence prefered to do it during maintenance windows.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

RenaudTouillet

Hello,

Thanks for your confirmation. In the meantime I executed the command on my volumes and no outage or issue was noticed.

Renaud

Public