ONTAP Discussions

Run SnapDrive for Unix from Protection Manager?

flstffatboy

I have SnapDrive installed on a Unix host. I would like to initiate a Snapdrive snapshot on this host from Protection Manager on a defined schedule. The intent is to ensure the filesystem is quiesced prior to the snap. Also, this will allow local users on the host access to the scheduled snaps. If not Protection Manager, is there a way using Operations Manager/DFM?

I'm asking the question here, just to ensure I am not chasing something that can't be done. Is it possible to control SnapDrive this way?

Thanks,

Mark

8 REPLIES 8

arunchak

>>I have SnapDrive installed on a Unix host. I would like to initiate a Snapdrive snapshot on this host from Protection Manager

What I understand is, you want to protect your unix host. Is this unix host a VM?

IF this is not what you are looking for and you just want to backup the LUN's created through snapdrive, you can always protect the those volumes in protection manager.

Thanks,

Arun

flstffatboy

Arun,

The Unix host is a Solaris 10 box. It's actually a Solaris Zone, their equivalent to a virtual machine. The NetApp storage is volumes shared via NFS, and mounted on the host. So, no LUN's involved here. We don't even give the end user the ability to create or modify storage.

The admins on the host have the permissions to run SnapDrive to take a snap from the host. But they have also asked that we schedule some snaps at specific times. Rather than putting a script on the Solaris box, I was hoping to control this by Protection Manager or Operations Manager/DFM. That way we don't have a bunch of scripts out there that we have to manage as well.

I realize I could just create a Dataset, and do these snaps via Protection Manager. But SnapDrive added the benefit of quiesing the file system prior to the snap. This is why I am trying to trigger SnapDrive remotely from my NetApp tools.

Thanks very much,

Mark

arunchak

AFAIK, for the timebeing only to take backup of DFM db you can use the installed snapdrive (its called the sndb snapshot). else you will have to go via the dataset creation.

Thanks,

Arun

flstffatboy

Hi Arun,

If I'm understanding your last post...

I can only use SnapDrive on the DFM host to snap the DFM database?

Otherwise, I will have to use the standard Protection Manager Dataset tools to schedule a snapshot on this Unix host. I can't have Protection manager run SnapDrive remotely, correct?

Thanks very much,

Mark

arunchak

That is correct, AFAIK, through Protection manager you cannot call SDU remotely.

Thanks,

Arun

flstffatboy

I have no idea how to mark this question answered? I don't see anything in the interface that allows for this.

But, thanks for the help Arun, and I consider this question answered.

Mark

arunchak

may be you have not logged in. login and see if you get the "mark answered".

Thanks,

Arun

flstffatboy

Hi Arun,

I was logged in. It turns out it was my version of IE. I logged in using firefox and the option to mark answered was available.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Public