ONTAP Discussions

SAS firmware update on FAS2050 - disruptive?

akw_white

Hi all

I've got a FAS2050 here which has somehow ended up with different firmware versions on the two SAS modules on the internal disk shelf. Message:

[filername ses.mismatch.fw.version:warning]: The disk shelf modules on disk shelf 0c.0 are running two different firmware versions. Disk shelf module A is running 05, and disk shelf module B is running 04.

and sysconfig -v shows:

Shelf   0: ESAS  Firmware rev. SAS A: 05 SAS B: 04

The documentation on http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/shelffwdnld.cgi/download/tools/diskshelf/bin/SAS.0500.SFW refers to ESHx and AT-FCx modules but nothing about ESAS. Is installing SAS.0500.SFW on the FAS2050 disruptive?

Also what is the correct syntax in this case for installing the firmware on the "SAS B" module only? The docco says to use storage download shelf adapter_number but I can't find the correct syntax for adapter_number in this context listed anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks

Adam

7 REPLIES 7

enrjfitz1

What I'd do is just install the firmware for the Shelf 0c and don't specify the module itself.

Sometimes ONTAP comes with firmware updates included, are you running the latest version of ONTAP for the 2050?    

akw_white

It's running Ontap 7.3.2 so not the latest and greatest but good enough for now.  Do you recommend I just run storage download shelf and let it sort itself out? I have copied the SAS.0500.SFW.FVF firmware file to /etc/shelf_fw on the controller.

Will performing this upgrade disrupt access to the disks in the shelf?

rwelshman

As far as I know, the SAS adapters can be updated non-disrutpive as each disk has two controllers.

If you run the storage download shelf command to the particular storage adapter, it will check and verify that only one module requires the update.

akw_white

Thanks Riley, that leads me back to my initial question - how do I specify which controller to update via the command line?

rwelshman

priv set advanced

storage download shelf 0c

That should do it.

henrypan1

rwelshman

Is this also apply to FAS6280?

Thanks

akw_white

I tried the command and this is the result

Downloading disk shelf firmware may take up to 10 minutes,
and WILL disrupt client access during that time.

Are you sure you want to continue with shelf firmware update?

So I chickened out and hit "n".

Will see if I can test this in the lab before trying again....

Public