ONTAP Discussions

SLAG (Storage Level Access Guard) & ONTAP 9

parkea2

Just a quick question I hope.  I am migrating an older ONTAP 8.2 (7-mode)  filer.  I believe it had SLAG enabled on a UNIX volume primarily to enable CIFS auditing.

This SLAG setup may have been present when the filer was initially at 7.x levels, but that is a guess and before my time.

I suspect that at ONTAP  9.x  SLAG is not required for auditing.  When I searched the CIFS and NFS Auditing guide for SLAG I found no references to SLAG.

So am I correct in believing that SLAG is nolonger required for UNIX (NFS) auditing because of the nfsv4  acls be available now ? 

I would ideally like to simplify the auditing and remove the SLAG if its not needed for enabling auditing anymore.

Rgds AndyP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NAYABSK

Yes that's right 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NAYABSK

Hi,

Thank you for contacting NetApp communities, yes you are right SLAG is no longer needed NFS auditing.

Please check the documentation for more information :- http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.cdot-famg-cifs%2FGUID-032F05F4-C33B-43A8-A694-3E1A5A3DCDF4.html

Thanks,

Nayab

parkea2

Thanks for the response,  it confirms what I thought I was reading in the guides.   I have been unpicking an old filer and trying to

make sense of the configuration.

Just for clarity can you confirm in the new environment ONTAP 9.1 P1  the volume is : /vol/volname  security = UNIX

it is  exposed to clients via NFS exports And CIFS Shares.

So if I add suitable NFSv4 ACL to the volume.  I should get audit events  when the share is access from either

NFS or CIFS protocals.   Is that correct ?

Rgds AndyP

NAYABSK

Yes that's right 

Public