ONTAP Discussions

SMB 3.0 and onTap 8.x (in 7 MODE)

c_m_stephenson

Hi all,

We're getting lots of new Windows 8 and Windows 2012 R2 clients who want to connect to the Netapp for CIFS access, currently we have a script that turns this off and the user runs in manually (below).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

"RequireSecureNegotiate"=dword:00000001

Just wondered if anyone knows if and when SMB 3.0 will be support in 7 mode or if anyone else has resolved this in another way, maybe using webdav or something? 

Does anyone use webdav for accessing CIFS on a netapp?  Any issues?

Craig

5 REPLIES 5

michaelalbers

Hello Craig,

SMB 3.0 will never be supported on 7-mode systems. For that you will have to run cDot.

Michael

c_m_stephenson

agggghhhhh, think the last time I looked into upgrading our 7 mode filers to cDot meant building a new system from scratch.  Has a nice upgrade path been designed yet?

Craig

michaelalbers

Upgrading is the same way means from scratch. You can use the 7-mode transition tool for nas migration.

c_m_stephenson

Many thanks, Michael.

c_m_stephenson

As it looks like SMB 3 isn't going to be supported in 7 mode (thanks for the info Michael), what are others sites doing?  Are they simply turning it off on the clients (above reg key) or are they looking onto moving to cDot?  For us, I think it would be a major disruption to do this, unless it is schedule along side a hardware refresh and I've just purchased additional storage (urgently needed) so won't be looking at a major investment for a couple of years.

Any advice for me?

Public