ONTAP Discussions

SMSQL Federated Backup and Protection Manager

brauntvr2swiss

Hi All

I have a question about SMSQL Federated Backup:

I have a 2 node Windows 2008 Cluster with two SQL Instances on it:

VirtName1/Instance1

VirtName2/Instance2

I have execute the Configuration Wizard on the 2 Instances with PM integration. This Task has created two Datasets in PM and with the "normal" Backup the snapshots are archived (See Jobs above)

SmsqlJobLauncher.exe new-backup  –svr 'VirtName1/Instance1' -ver  –verInst 'VirtName3/Instance3' -mp  –mpdir '' -RetainBackupDays  7 -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfo 8 -trlog  –mgmt standard  -ArchiveBackup  -ArchivedBackupRetention Daily

SmsqlJobLauncher.exe new-backup  –svr 'VirtName2/Instance2' -ver  –verInst 'VirtName3/Instance3' -mp  –mpdir '' -RetainBackupDays  7 -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfo 8 -trlog  –mgmt standard  -ArchiveBackup  -ArchivedBackupRetention Daily

new-backup  –svr 'VirtName1/Instance1' -g  '2',  'VirtName1/Instance1', '3', 'db1', 'db2', 'db3',   'VirtName2/Instance2', '1', 'db1' -RetainBackupDays  3 -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfo 4 -rubackups 1 –mgmt standard -ArchiveBackup  -ArchivedBackupRetention Daily

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

qzhang

You can try the following registry key workaround:

On the machine which you have database which is part of federated backup, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Appliance\SnapManager for SQL Server\Server

Add DWORD_REG key value named “ArchiveRemoteFederatedBackup”, set it value to 1.

Thanks,

-Qing

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

crocker

@lynda is this one that your team handles or should the question be asked in the NetApp Support Community?

crocker

Looks like you were not able to help on this issue here.  We have external and internal subject matter experts in the NetApp Support Community answering questions about SnapX products and software.  If you have a NOW login, this link enables you to engage them about this.

abhisek

What is the issue you are seeing ?

brauntvr2swiss

Hi abhisek

The Issue is:

I have Integrated Two SQL Instances in Protection Manager. It mean I have run the SMSQL Configuartion Wizard twice (for every Instance) and in PM I see now 2 Datasets (one Dataset/Instance).

When the Backup of  each Instance  is running seperatly (without federated Backup), then SMSQL trigger PM for updating the Volumes/Qtrees, which are in the Dataset (-ArchiveBackup).

With the Federated Backup (Two Instances with one SMSQL Job) PM   updating only the Dataset, which is linked with the Instance defined with –svr (eg:   'VirtName1/Instance1'). The other Dataset becomes a LAG error in PM, because no updating occurs.....

I hope You understand my explanation of the issue..

TIA

Thomas

michaelalbers

Hi Thomas,

I ran in the same problem. Have you any solution?

Michael

brauntvr2swiss

Hi Michael

I dont have a solution for this. Because it was only a Testing Environment we haven't look deeper.

I think Federated Backup doesn't work with Dataset integration, because only for the main Instance

SMSQL creates a Dataset in PM. But this is only thinking and not knowing :-)..

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you...

regards

Thomas

michaelalbers

Hi Thomas,

bad news....

I'm just upgraded SMSQL from 5.2 to 6.0 with hope that it will work with the new version. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Tomorrow I will write a powershell script using 'sdcli dataset' registering snapshots of other SQL server with datasets.

Regards

Michael

qzhang

You can try the following registry key workaround:

On the machine which you have database which is part of federated backup, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Appliance\SnapManager for SQL Server\Server

Add DWORD_REG key value named “ArchiveRemoteFederatedBackup”, set it value to 1.

Thanks,

-Qing

michaelalbers

Hi Qing,

on next monday I will be at customer site. Then I want to try your solution and giving feedback.

Regards,

Michael

michaelalbers

Hi Qing,

my customer implemented the workaround and it works like a charme.

Thanks!

Michael

brauntvr2swiss

Hi Qing

Thanks for your Solution.

regards

Thomas

brauntvr2swiss

Hi Michael

Can you try the Workaround with the registry? When It works, I can mark this discussion as solved 🙂

regards

Thomas

Public