ONTAP Discussions

SMSQL in conjuction with normal SQL Server Backups

RDMOORE13

Is it possible to use SMSQL to augment my current MSSQL backup maintenance plans.  I would like to use SMSQL to replicate snapshots of my SQL databases to my DR site, but i also would like to keep my traditional SQL server backups as a failsafe and to provide offsite replicatio of the data through my normal backup process.  I have been unable to get a definitive answer on whether or or not this can be done, at this point the i have been told that by using SMSQL i cannot use traditiaon SQL server backups to to potential conflicts with the transaction logs, i just need to clarify this.

3 REPLIES 3

qzhang

You can run full SQL Server database backup with other methods while running SMSQL. It is recommended that you only use SMSQL to do log backup. If you also run log backup with other methods, make sure those methods don't truncate logs during the log backup, only use SMSQL for log truncation. If other log backup methods truncate logs, SMSQL log backups will have gaps which will cause log restore failure during restore.

Thanks,

-Qing

welch

To add to what Qing said, If your database is in Simple recovery mode, you can run both SMSQL backups and traditional SQL Backups at the same time as t-log dumps will not be an issue.  If you are in Full recovery mode, then ensure that only one backup method is responsible for transaction log truncation.  Your LSNs must be sequential for automated recovery with either SMSQL or SQL.

I actually wrote a blog about this... https://communities.netapp.com/blogs/SQLStorage/2013/03/04/can-i-backup-my-sql-databases-using-smsql-and-sql-lightspeed-or-netbackup-or-any-other-back...

curtish

The latest versions of SMSQL have a "Copy Only" backup option that should allow you to do this...

Public