ONTAP Discussions

SMVI SFR trouble

nhammes

Hello all, I am trying to get SFR working in my SMVI 2.0 deployment, but I am getting "invalid configuration" when I try to import the .sfr file into the RA client.  I can create the session, it mounts the datastore backup, adds the disk to the RA VM but I cannot get the .sfr file to import into RA.  When I open the .sfr file in notepad, it is empty?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also, is there any additional logging I can use to troubleshoot?  I couldn't find any in the RA directory and no events in windows Event logs...

Thank you,

Nate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amritad

I’m wondering why the SFR session did not clean up on its own. Clean-up is supposed to happen automatically after the session expires. You should file a support case for this. Is this snapshot that’s mounted cleaned up from the ESX? Cleaning up the catalog manually sometimes leaves the system in an unstable state. Let me try and find out the exact steps for that.

Regards

Amrita

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

amritad

Are you using Outlook web access to download the .sfr file?

Regards

Amrita

nhammes

Amrita, I did use OWA to download the file... is that what's causing the issue?

Thanks,

Nate

amritad

Yes this is an issue with OWA that’s why you are getting blank files. I know some Microsoft patch fixes it but I can’t remember which one. Let me dig. Till then if you could use some other mail ID to just check if you get the .sfr file with content that would be great.

Regards

Amrita

nhammes

Sure enough – if I download the .sfr file via a full MAPI client it then has contents… I’ll give that a try today and post the results.

Thanks for the quick response!

Nathan Hammes

Sr. Systems Engineer

Advanced Systems Group (ASG)

Thornton, Colorado

w - 303.301.3051

c - 303.815.9881

This email and any attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the individual to whom they are addressed. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

nhammes

Amrita, that worked. I was finally able to successfully load the config file and restore a file from a backup copy… Thank you SO much.

If you can find what patch is required to fix OWA so it can be used instead of a full MAPI client, that would be greatly appreciated as OWA is much more accessible than a full MAPI client usually…

Thanks again!!

Nathan Hammes

Sr. Systems Engineer

Thornton, Colorado

w - 303.301.3051

c - 303.815.9881

This email and any attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the individual to whom they are addressed. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

amritad

Found it finally. This is OWA related more than being SFR related. SFR will work fine with all other mail browsers. Here is the link. Hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950675/en-us

Regards

Amrita

nhammes

Amrita, my last question (which I also posted on the SMVI forum) is regarding cleaning up the SMVI catalog manually. I had originally created a SFR session which never worked and I had manually removed the mounted snapshot datastore and harddisk fro the Destination VM. Well, in doing that I now get an error when I try to delete the SFR session because it can’t find the mounted datastores it expects… Someone said it should go away after the expiration period, but that did not happen. The session is still listed in SMVI, so I need to know how to clean this up manually so that session is removed. Do you have a doc or any info on how to do that?

Much appreciated – thanks!

Nathan Hammes

Sr. Systems Engineer

Thornton, Colorado

w - 303.301.3051

c - 303.815.9881

amritad

I’m wondering why the SFR session did not clean up on its own. Clean-up is supposed to happen automatically after the session expires. You should file a support case for this. Is this snapshot that’s mounted cleaned up from the ESX? Cleaning up the catalog manually sometimes leaves the system in an unstable state. Let me try and find out the exact steps for that.

Regards

Amrita

Public