ONTAP Discussions

SMVI - Snapmirror

nsitps1976

If I wanted to use SMVI to initiate my snapmirror updates does this mean the destination does not need an entry in the snapmirror.conf file?

Also, can SMVI be used to create a pure snapmirror schedule – Ie, not also create local backups / snapshots?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hains

Hello,

You need an entry in the snapmirror.conf file with no schedule (- - - -) but you can throttle it.

Start the baseline task and after that you can check to initiate a snapmirror update.

I hope it's help.

Regards,

Jerome

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

hains

Hello,

You need an entry in the snapmirror.conf file with no schedule (- - - -) but you can throttle it.

Start the baseline task and after that you can check to initiate a snapmirror update.

I hope it's help.

Regards,

Jerome

nsitps1976

Thanks for the response.

So to have no schedule my entry would look like this:

srcfiler:vol destfiler:vol - ----           ??????????/

hains

Hi,

Your entry should look like this :

[srcfiler]:[srcvol] [dstfiler]:[dstvol] - - - - -

then do the snapmirror initialize. (baseline copy)

After that you only need to check the box "initiate snapmirror update" in SMVI.

Jerome

nsitps1976

Ok, that is the syntax I have but the snapmirror update isnot being performed (the backup is however).

I create the baseline with no issues, I can even run asnapmirror update on the dest without issues – Again, no error is logged in theVSC, snapmirror log or the system console ??

hains

Hello,

Did you add the destination filer into VSC?

From the backup.pdf (VSC 2.1) :

If you intend to initiate a SnapMirror update during a backup procedure, you must also add a

destination storage system at this time.

Be sure the check box "Initiate SnapMirror Update" is check on Job Properties.

Jerome

nsitps1976

I had used netbios name on filers but fqdn on SMVI (VSC) config – Changed both to the same (netbios) and all is well!

I notice that on the destination there are multiple snapshots – One with the smvi prefix and the other a normal snapmirror update. Is this because the backup is created first then a snapmirror update is performed (so we have two snaps on the src / dest with the same timestamp).

Lastly, do you know if it is possible to use flexclone to clone any snapshot (not the most recent) on the dest volume – For example, data is corrupt in the most recent replica so rather than break the relationship and end up with corrupt data, use flexclone to clone a previous snapshot to access “good” non corrupt data.

hains

Sure,

You can use "vol clone create" on the destination volume.

usage:
vol clone create <vol-name> [-s none | file | volume] [-f] -b <parent_flexvol> [<parent_snapshot>]
  - create a new flexible volume that is a clone of <parent_flexvol>

Jerome

nsitps1976

Great thanks..

Public