ONTAP Discussions

SNMP-problem, routing error?

mss

We have an issue with SNMP and one of our filers. ssh/web access towards the filer is fine, indicating that routing etc. is ok, but this error message keeps pop'ing up in the console:

[snmp.agent.resp.failed:warning]: Could not send response to host : <ip of host> : reason : Failure could be due to either DNS/gateway misconfiguration or takeover/giveback in progress

Timeout, server not responding.

This filer is located off-site, and we access it through a VPN.

The filer is running Netapp Release 7.3.2.

10 REPLIES 10

mss

For some odd reason, it wouldn't send any SNMP-replies through the default gateway. I had to create a static route -> OK.

nigelmullings

Hi MSS

can you advise where\how you set the static route and did this resolve the same issue for you?

Thanks

NM

mss

I set the static route from the console/SSH-shell, with the route command. See the "Network Management Guide" for instructions.

nigelmullings

Thanks for that MMS, can you elaborate?

were you seeing the same error?  I am getting it on one of my DR filers and snmp, dns and network configs are all fine.

did you just do

route add <ip address> <gateway> then the erorrs stopped appearing on the CLI?

is this issue not the same as netapp bug 344812?

Thanks again

NM

mss

I don't know about the netapp bug, but the problem (and error messages) disappeared after I added the static route with the route command you are referring to. That's it, not much to elaborate on.

yufa

Dear Sir,

What about the static route which you seting . If you use the default gateway as gateway ?

For example:

fas3240_01> route -s
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use  Interface
default          192.168.2.253      UGS        35  1015295  vif-service

The filer default gateway is  192.168.2.253  .

Tue Aug  2 17:07:16 CST [fas3240_01: snmp.agent.resp.failed:warning]: Could not send response to host : 192.168.2.35 : reason : Failure could be due to either DNS/gateway misconfiguration or takeover/giveback in progress

we can add the following static route:

route add 192.168.2.35 192.168.2.253 1

Is right ?

Thanks.

mss

Should work, just try it and you'll figure it out.

yufa

Thanks a lot.

nigelmullings

Great, Thanks a lot smm, I'll give it a try and post the results..

NM

joyent_com

I hit the same problem.  After adding a new gateway I could ping the filer but got the same error noted here.  I don't see adding a static route as a solution. 

I fixed the problem by restarting SNMP:

1) Check SNMP state: "options.snmp"

2) Disable SNMP: "options.snmp.enable off"

3) Enable SNMP: "options.snmp.enable on"

Just like that, SNMP was working as expected without the nasty error message.

Public