ONTAP Discussions

Small SnapLock system, partitioning help needed

schmitz_peter

Hi all,

I need to set up a FAS2620 containing 12 4TB SATA disks for SnapLock, possibly both worlds, i.e. Enterprise and Compliance.

As I am a SnapLock and an ADP newbie my questions are about the initial setup:

• The machine has been configured with ADP 1. Should I rebuild with ADP 2?
  • We are to host several customers on the WORM system. So, where do I put the SVM root volumes? I guess I will need a non-snaplock aggregate, which will lead to reduced space on the future snaplock aggregates (assuming that I need 5 slices for the smallest possible aggregate.)

*sigh* So, the basic question is: Do you guys have partitioning recommendations for this small system?

Thanks a lot for any insight.

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

D_BEREZENKO

Hi.

SnapLock is a feature of aggregate. The SnapLock mode (compliance or enterprise) is inherited by the volume. So to have both: Compliance and Enterprise SnapLock you have to have 2 aggregates.

Also, you cannot use SnapLock aggregate for SVM root volume, which means in your case, you'll need total five aggregates (3 data aggregates):

1. One non-Snaplock aggregate for SVM root volume (data aggr)
  2. One SnapLock Compliance (data aggr)
  3. One SnapLock Enterprise (data aggr)
  4. Two node root aggregates which living on partitions, no additional drives required here

I believe you by saying ADP v2 mean RD2 (Root-Data-Data Partitioning). RD2 supported only on SSDs, so with HDDs, you have only Root-Data Partitioning type of ADP. And yes, ADP is supported with SnapLock starting with ONTAP 9.0.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

D_BEREZENKO

Hi.

SnapLock is a feature of aggregate. The SnapLock mode (compliance or enterprise) is inherited by the volume. So to have both: Compliance and Enterprise SnapLock you have to have 2 aggregates.

Also, you cannot use SnapLock aggregate for SVM root volume, which means in your case, you'll need total five aggregates (3 data aggregates):

4. Two node root aggregates which living on partitions, no additional drives required here

I believe you by saying ADP v2 mean RD2 (Root-Data-Data Partitioning). RD2 supported only on SSDs, so with HDDs, you have only Root-Data Partitioning type of ADP. And yes, ADP is supported with SnapLock starting with ONTAP 9.0.

schmitz_peter
Hi,

@D_BEREZENKO wrote:

Hi.

That's what I was afraid of...

Five aggregates is a no-go on a 12-disk system. I will try to sell them one of the two modes and go with four aggregates.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

Public