ONTAP Discussions

Snap Manager Exchange - Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG 2 Nodes - do not cleanup SANPINFO !

MARC_SAUTER

Hi,

we have a Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG with 2 nodes

i do backup of DAG ... having Snapshots for 10days and utm (point in time revcovery) configured for 3 days.

But the files in SME_snapinfo are not deleted afeter 3 days - they only be delteted after 10days ... WHY ?

What is the funktion of the 3 days for pit ?   RetainUtmBackups 3 ??? Is this not the option not the cleanup for SNAPINFO ?

regards

marc

27 REPLIES 27

hutchinson

Thanks for this update.

I have also upgraded to SME 6.0.4 but the UTM switch still seems to be ignored and the path:

[driveletter]:\sme_snapinfo\EXCH__S[SERVERNAME]\[DATABASENAME] still contains huge log files for over the specificed retention period.

I'm on SnapDrive 6.4.1, was there anything you had to do apart from upgrade?

PERRYBARHAM

First, I upgraded SnapDrive from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1 and installed all the windows hotfixes it asked for.  Then upgraded SME from 6.0.2 to 6.0.4.  

Although my mailbox databases are now purging the "Logs" directory just fine according to UTM, my public folders weren't so I have ticket #2003630560 opened and working with a SME expert. 

Here is answer I have so far:

"The mailbox databases had enough backup sets for the backup retention to trigger, which also fired UTM.  With the Public Folders, since moving to SME 6.0.4, we have not seen enough backup sets accumulate to trigger the backup retention and subsequently UTM deletion." 

In other words, I had manually removed some of the public folder backups to avoid running out of space so the UTM fix wasn't triggered.  Whereas with my mailbox databases I had plenty of space despite the UTM bug so there were enough backup sets to trigger UTM to delete the "Logs" directory.

From now on, if I run out of space on my PF volume, I will only delete the "Logs" directory out of the individual backup set folders so eventually UTM should trigger when there are enough backup sets to meet retention.   I will report backup what happens.

Perry

GRAEMEOGDEN

Thanks for the updates on your experiences with SME 6.0.4 Perry.

I'm planning to upgrade SME in our environment early next week so it's great to hear another customers experiences.

Cheers,

Graeme

hutchinson

Thanks for your reply Perry.

i assume I need more backup groups to get UTM working correctly then, will let you now how I get on.....

PERRYBARHAM

Now that my backup sets for pubic folders have met retention, UTM is working for me and old "Logs" directories are being pruned.   Netapp support says this is a bug they're working on.   Either way, UTM will work with 6.0.4 if you haven't deleted your backupsets below overall retention.   If you need more space, just delete the "Logs" folder in your backup sets to ensure UTM will work.  

Perry

hutchinson

I have had a response from NetApp technical support now, they advised the following for my UTM directories not being deleted:

The problem you’ve been having can be addressed by creating the following registry modification:

Under this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Appliance\SnapManager for Exchange\Server

Create the following DWORD key:

SME 4.0 : NumberToDeleteOnCCRSecondary
SME 5.0 : NumberBackupToRetainOnCCRSecondary
SME 6.0 : NumberBackupToRetainOnCCRSecondary

vatsal_parekh

Hey Hutch,

I also have a problem with the sme_snapinfo folder logs with the Hard Links not getting flushed.

I am running 6.0.4 SME.

Did the regisry keys that you added work for you?

Thanks

Chandler

Public