ONTAP Discussions

Snap Restore of a snapvault snapshot

deygaurab

Hi Folks,

I am trying to snap restore a snapvaulted snapshot (from snapvault secondary) on the secondary filer and getting some errors while doing it. It throws an incomplete parameter error. I think I am using the right command syntax to do the restore. The idea is to snap restore a snapvaulted snapshot from the secondary on the secondary filer itself and then present the LUN to the host from secondary filer to restore the files. Is it possible?

Cheers

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

You could try a FlexClone of the volume based on the snapshot you want, then make the lun writable with the advanced comand "snapmirror convert" and "snapmirror break" on the qtree in the cloned volume ... if you have both flexclone and snapmirror licensed.  Don't run on the target volume but the clone of the target volume...if that works (I haven't tested with a lun but it should work) then create an igroup for the server, map the lun and the host can attach the lun... when done destroy the flexclone volume...  the clone will lock the snapshot though which could affect updates if the snapshot needs to roll off...might be worth creating a manual source snap, then snapvault update so that you have a fixed snapshot that won't change and won't affect future updates during the restore...then when done delete the source snapshot and snapvault update again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

deygaurab

Friends , any idea on my post?

AGUMADAVALLI

Instead of snap restore, just browse to the share and copy it over. That makes your life easier.

thank you,

AK G

deygaurab

Thanks AK, I have to restore a lun from a specific snapshot from the secondary so I believe browsing to the share is not a possibility

Thanks

Rahul

scottgelb

You could try a FlexClone of the volume based on the snapshot you want, then make the lun writable with the advanced comand "snapmirror convert" and "snapmirror break" on the qtree in the cloned volume ... if you have both flexclone and snapmirror licensed.  Don't run on the target volume but the clone of the target volume...if that works (I haven't tested with a lun but it should work) then create an igroup for the server, map the lun and the host can attach the lun... when done destroy the flexclone volume...  the clone will lock the snapshot though which could affect updates if the snapshot needs to roll off...might be worth creating a manual source snap, then snapvault update so that you have a fixed snapshot that won't change and won't affect future updates during the restore...then when done delete the source snapshot and snapvault update again.

deygaurab

Thanks Scott. Did you mean lun clone or vol clone? I guess both of them would work?

Yes the snapshot would need to roll off due to future updates. I believe once the clone is destroyed wont the snapshot get unlocked?

On your advise-".might be worth creating a manual source snap, then snapvault update so that you have a fixed snapshot that won't change and won't affect future updates during the restore" ---- Did you mean to create a manual snapshot of the secondary volume(which is the source of the vol clone) and then do a snapvault update?

Cheers,

Rahul

scottgelb

Vol clone. Then you can work with it easier I think. I would create the snap on the primary system so it doesn't lock updates down the transfer and the clone. Destroying or splitting the clone will free the snap.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Public