ONTAP Discussions

Snap individual LUNS in a volume

catchynetapp

Just wondering if this is possible.

We have a number of volumes within an aggregate with dedupe enabled.  Many LUNS in these volumes are then presented to individual servers for Boot from SAN.

Is it possible to snapshot an individual LUN within a volume?  Everything seems to happen on a volume level, or am I missing something?

TIA.

7 REPLIES 7

scottgelb

Correct.  SnapShots exist at the volume level only.  A snapshot will contain all luns in the volume (although not all may have been quiesced and some may be crash consistent only).

mcope

As Scott mentioned, Snapshots occur at the volume level.  This is why our best practice for LUNs is to either create a dedicated volume for each LUN or only group LUNs that are bound together (i.e., can be quiesced and snapshotted at the same time) into a single volume.

arunchak

Hi,

I was going through this like http://wikid.netapp.com/w/Space_optimized_lun_snapshot_functional_spec#Problem_Overview

It exactly talks about what you are looking for. Hope this is useful for you.

Thanks,

Arun.

shaunjurr

The internal "wiki" link isn't terribly helpful for those of us who aren't wearing the shirts with the embroidered "N" on them...   (i.e. non NetApp employees) ...

mcope

Internal Wiki information should never be posted to this website. 

mrcenterprises

Hi, we are also trying to do this, but booting from iSCSI luns instead....

What does the information in the link say?

andrc
Public