ONTAP Discussions

SnapManager Integration w/ Protection Manager

jmmorrell

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/SnapManager/relsme50/html/software/admin/GUID-2C2DD701-9CD4-4EDE-9394-F480749ECE4F.html

After reading the above link, it appears that SnapManager integration w/ PM only works for Backups & Remote Backups, it doesn't work for mirror policies. Does anyone know if there's a way around this? Or when this feature will be available?

I have several protection policies that do Backup > Then Mirror. I thought since the first step of the policy was "Backup" we could select this protection policy, but when I got into SM it ONLY lists the backup ONLY policices, it doesn't list any policies that have a mirror step in them.

11 REPLIES 11

adaikkap

Hi,

There are couple of reasons as to why only Backup/Remote Backup policy was allowed.

Non-Disruptive Lun restore is supported only for SnapVault relationships.

As Backup/Remote Backup policies allow you only to create SnapVault relationships.they are allowed.

Also the work around would be to change the policy from Protection manager for the dataset.

though i am not sure if there is any impact from the snapmanagers.

you might  have to test to see if there is any impact.

Regards

adai

kirana

I assume this NOW page talks to SMSQL. In SMO, all the protection policies are visible and usable in the 'Profile-create' wizard. However, as Adai

has mentioned, the LUN restore may be disruptive for mirror related policies, in which case you might need to bring DB instance down to mounted state.

-Kiran.

ianaforbes

I have the same question. Presently, my customer uses Snapmanager Exchange to backup and then kick off snapmirror replication. If they were to purchase Protection manager would they still be able to do the exact same thing via PM (i.e. backup with SME and then immediately kick off a snapmirror replication)? If not, how would this be accomplished? 2 diferent policies?

kumarps

At present SME user will not be able to do snapmirror via PM policies, SME supports "Back Up" and "Remote Backup" only policies via PM. SME supports snapmirror without going through PM interfaces, please refer to SME admin guide.

Thanks

Kumar Parthasarathi

ianaforbes

Hmm. I don't really see the benefit of PM and SME integration if PM cannot support a backup and replication policy. I can do both of those through SME today without PM. Basically, you're saying to use PM policy for the backup portion and ensure I check the snapmirror button when i create the job in SME? Kinda defeats the single-pane of glass value-add of PM IMO.

If I was doing SME archiving via SnapVault I can clearly see how PM would be of value. But for just backup and snapmirror replication I cannot see the value of the integration.

Thanks

adaikkap

IIRC SME only Support Backup Policy,

Regards

adai

ianaforbes

Is this documented anywhere? Seems so much easier to just use SME alone and create one job to backup and snapmirror. I didn't know you could create datasets within SME. I thought that was only possible in PM.

adaikkap

Still dataset resides on PM but those datasets are created from SME.

SME talks to PM to created Dataset through SDW.

Regards

adai

kumarps

I will not recommend switching SME dataset policy from "Backup" or "Remote Backup only" to "Backup then Mirror" using PM. This is NOT a tested functionality in SME, moreover transactional log data will not be propagted to mirror as soon as logs are snapshoted at the primary storage by SME.

-Kumar Parthasarathi

ianaforbes

So, basically you're confirming that if the customer wants to do a SME backup and then immediately kick-off a snapmirror replication they should not integrate PM - just stick with the SME job that will backup AND snapmirror.

Thx

kumarps

Yes that's correct. For snapmirror replication of SME snapshots, I recommend sticking with SME.

-Kumar Parthasarathi

Public