ONTAP Discussions

SnapManager for SQL SnapInfo sizing

ianaforbes

Does anyone have any solid SMSQL snapinfo volume sizing guidelines? The SMSQL admin guide does a good job explaining sizing for the databases, logs but not good at all for sizing the snapinfo directory.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/SnapManager/relsmsql211/html/software/admin/plandat4.htm

Is there a formula that I can use for snapinfo? There's one for database and logs volumes but not for snapinfo. I find myself totally guessing what this number should be when doing snapmanager work for a client. How are we supposed to come up with an accurate snapinfo lun and volume size?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

Message was edited by: Ian Forbes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mikepapalia

Ian,

Yes you would be covered. But for clarification, "Up to the Minute" would not affect your current logs and your ability to use them for restore from the most recent backup, either way.

Consider our previous A, B, and C scenario: "Up to the minute" gives you the ability to have a retention (for example) of three nights' FULL backups and always have the transaction logs on hand to restore up to the minute for any time after A up to the current backup time--including any time in between, even if... (here's the difference) you *remove* the Full Backup "B". Because you will still have retained all of the logs that were written after A, and after B, and any that have happened since C, you will have all of the database transactions for the whole duration. If you removed Fulls B & C, and wanted to restore up to the minute, you would still have the baseline Full A to recover, then all of the logs to enable you to play back to the time of the most recent snapshot (full or incremental).

One more fyi, once Full A expires, all the logs between A and B would expire from the SnapInfo directory. Then you would have B, C, & D's logs. Once B expires, all logs between B and C drop off, and so on...

I hope this helping...

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Public