ONTAP Discussions

SnapProtect: Protecting SQL/AD/etc.

renedissel

Hi everyone,

I'm new to SnapProtect/CommVault so this may sound like a strange question:

I'm trying to figure out how to consistently protect applications (SQL/Active Directory/Exchange) within virtual servers....

These are servers that have no RAW LUNs, just VMDKs.

For my vCenter server I've created a storage policy and SnapProtect correctly talks to DFM and creates an SnapVault backup.

But when I restore a VM there is no option to restore exchange databases, systemstate or everything else.

There is the option to install the commvault agents in the VM but that has no effect on the vCenter backup.

On the other hand I can't apply a new storage policy to the application agent because it recognizes that its not a NetApp disk (RAW LUN):

Error Code: [32:392] Description: Device passed in for operation is not a NetApp device OR the NetApp filer credentials haven't been entered OR the NetApp filer credential have been entered incorrectly.

Please check if the subclient content is on a NetApp volume/the NetApp filer credentials. : [[\\.\PhysicalDrive1] is not a NetApp device OR the NetApp filer credentials haven't been entered OR the NetApp filer credential have been entered incorrectly.

Please check the subclient content/NetApp filer credentials.] Source: ServerName, Process: VssSwProvider

Is it even possible to do an application aware VMware backup with SnapProtect?

Cheers,

René

4 REPLIES 4

steve1712

Helo René,

there is an option in the "Quiesce Options" Tab on the VmWare Subclient.... "Application aware backup for item based recovery (only available in intellisnap)"...

as i understand this should do application consitent snapshots... so that means for me that it should be possible to restore single items from an vmware snapshot...

i didn't have tested this option yet... even, for example if you just wanna backup the sql logs separately this isn't a option... because you snapshot the entire vmstore everytime...

best regards

Steve

renedissel

Hi Steve,

I've seen this option as well. The problem is that I have no means to restore single items from the VMware snapshot (even with this options enabled)

For example: After a VMware backup I tried to restore a SQL database. This SQL server has the SQL server agent installed.

When starting the restore Snapprotect offers me the options to do a full restore, VMDK restore or guest filesystem restore.

I've read somewhere (I think it was the fieldguide) that they recommend you to just restore the MDB files because they should be consistent.

So in conclusion we have this great backup solution with all these different application agent but they are useless if the data is not saved to a NetApp raw LUN.

Its kind of a big disappointment.

pbandaru

The below error message looks like the Array is not configured correctly in the Array management in the Netapp Snapprotect Console

Error Code: [32:392] Description: Device passed in for operation is not a NetApp device OR the NetApp filer credentials haven't been entered OR the NetApp filer credential have been entered incorrectly.

Please check if the subclient content is on a NetApp volume/the NetApp filer credentials. : [[\\.\PhysicalDrive1] is not a NetApp device OR the NetApp filer credentials haven't been entered OR the NetApp filer credential have been entered incorrectly.

Please check the subclient content/NetApp filer credentials.] Source: ServerName, Process: VssSwProvider

Check the CVMA.log on the Media agent/VSA machine for the exact reason of the failure

RUSSBASS

I also have run into this several times. The answer I get from CommVault is what is listed above.

However, just like you, most clients want to be able to restore specific databases only. It appears that it is not recommend to put the databases on virtual disks. In addition, you also need the SQL server to be a Media Agent. It needs those components to take the snapshots.

- Russ

Public