ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault Cost recovery model

byermann

I am looking for details as to how the capacity savings resulting from SnapVault backup can be determined in a customer environment.

The customer presently charges for tape backup based on a per GB written.

When SanpVault replaces the tape based approach the amount of data written significantly decreases.

What options are available to contrast the capacity delta between the 2 approaches?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aaronh

Contact John Martin, CSE in Data Protection in Australia. He has some very detailed TCO analysis models that he has done on snapvault disk vs tape. These should help you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

BrendonHiggins

I am a customer so I can not say.  But make sure you allow for ASIS no longer working once the snapvault destination gets bigger than filer will allow as a ASIS volume.  It is only 4Tb on a FAS3140 and we had to turn it off.

Hope it helps

Bren

BrendonHiggins

Sorry ~  On the plus side Snapvault solved our long backup times on volumes with millions of small files.  It also has a light load on the WAN so our backup destination is now off site.  There is no compression on snapvault yet but should be coming as it is available on snapmirror.

Bren

aaronh

Contact John Martin, CSE in Data Protection in Australia. He has some very detailed TCO analysis models that he has done on snapvault disk vs tape. These should help you.

Public