ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault Error while trying to re-sync the replication

NAYABRASOOL

Hi All,

This morning i have tried re-syncing one of my SNAP VAULT volume replication but ended up with the below error " No Common Snapshot to use as the base for resynchronization".

Please help to resolve this.

Thanks,

Nayab

11 REPLIES 11

brauntvr2swiss

Hi Nayab

It looks like you have loose your snapvault Base snapshot (This snapshot reside on both sides and will be used for snapvault updates or resynchronisation). You have

to do a new Baseline (snapvault start)...

regards

Thomas

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Thomas,

You mean to say snapvault start -S Source-Path Dest path ??? I have tried that as well but getting the same error.

Thanks,

Nayab

brauntvr2swiss

First you have to stop your current Relationship (snapvault stop). This will delete the qtree on the destination System (The qtree will be still available in the snapshots). Then you have to Start the Relationship (New Baseline Transfer) and the qtree will be created and your snapvault for this source qtree is back again..

Regards

Thomas

NAYABRASOOL

Ok Let me try that and let you know the outcome.

RAVI_PALADUGU

Please follow what thomas suggested , if possible please send me the logs from /etc/logs/snapmirror from the secondary. I can review and see if there is any thing that needs to be addressed.

RAVI_PALADUGU

To add few more points, you need do the below to stop snapvault

If you use the snapvault stop  command on the secondary storage system to delete an Open Systems SnapVault relationship and try to re-create the relationship without releasing the relationship on the primary storage system, the attempt fails with an error message similar to the following:

date and time [worker_thread_162:error]: snapvault: destination

transfer from source file to destination qtree: the qtree is not

the source for the snapmirror destination

Transfer aborted: the qtree is not the source for the snapmirror

destination.

1. On the secondary storage system console, enter the following

command:

snapvault stop secondary_path

2.  On the primary storage system console, enter the following

command:

snapvault release primary_path [ secondary: ]

secondary_path

3.  On the secondary storage system console, enter the following

command:

snapvault start -S primary_path [ secondary: ]

secondary_path

NAYABRASOOL

Hey All,

I would like to know what is the maximum time lag accepted in SnapVault ??? Is there something like 24Hrs of time lag is OK ???

Thanks,

Nayab

NAYABRASOOL

This is what i have seen for few volumes when i was checking the output of "snapvault status -l" , Are these errors Ok , No worries ????? Else what action needs to be taken for these ??

"Current Transfer Error:destination requested snapshot that does not exist on the source"

"Current Transfer Error: source contains no new data; suspending transfer to destination "

Thanks,

Nayab

RAVI_PALADUGU

Some thing doesn't sound right, you really need to have some PS looking into it or I recommend you to open a case with netapp to further research on this if you don't feel very comfortable with snapvault.

RAVI_PALADUGU

It depends on how you scheduled it. Say for example you have schedule the snapvault job to update every 24 hours then you should not have lag more than 24 hours.

NAYABRASOOL

These are the resolutions for the above errors

For the error "Current Transfer Error: destination requested snapshot that does not exist on the source", We have to reinitialize.

For error "Current Transfer Error: source contains no new data; suspending transfer to destination ", We can ignore.

Public