ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault for Snaplock

mheimberg

We are planning to backup / replicate a SnapLock-archive to a secondary site. So I read through the "Archive and Compliance Management Guide" for Ontap 7.3.

Unfortunately some points are still not clear to me, respectively I am afraid I did wrong:

1) Without initialising the Compliance clock it is not possible to delete Files when their retention is over, not even in SnapLock Enterprise (S. 28).

So I have to initialize the clock, which I did not till now, but: can this be done after aggr and vols are created or do I have to start from scratch  (S.29: Attention...)

2) Table on p.79/80 lists only Compliance. But I assume that SnapLock for SnapVault also works when source and destination are in Enterprise mode, do they?

3) How to setup... on p.83ff describes the creation of the log-volume on the secondary. Isn't there a log-volume on the primary too?

Somewhere at the beginning it is stated, that the log-volume has to be a Compliance-volume - is this really mandatory? Is Enterprise not sufficient?

4) p.88 states, that snapshot are not deleted automatically. Does that mean, I have to tidy up manually or build some scripts?

Thanks for any input.

Regards
Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

itimothy

hope this helps

1) Without initialising the Compliance clock it is not possible to delete Files when their retention is over, not even in SnapLock Enterprise (S. 28).

So I have to initialize the clock, which I did not till now, but: can this be done after aggr and vols are created or do I have to start from scratch  (S.29: Attention...)

[Tim] - You can create SnapLock Enterprise (SLE) volumes without initializing the ComplianceClock (CC), however all files set to the WORM state on the volume do not have a time reference and hence cannot be deleted. You'd have to initialize the CC sometime and when that happens it becomes the time reference based on which the WORM files will expire, when they expire you can delete them.

2) Table on p.79/80 lists only Compliance. But I assume that SnapLock for SnapVault also works when source and destination are in Enterprise mode, do they?

[Tim] Yes, that would work - SLE source and SLE destination, but please revisit the table on p79/80 to see version related information

3) How to setup... on p.83ff describes the creation of the log-volume on the secondary. Isn't there a log-volume on the primary too?

Somewhere at the beginning it is stated, that the log-volume has to be a Compliance-volume - is this really mandatory? Is Enterprise not sufficient?

[Tim] There is only one log volume which will be on the snapvault secondary and it can be of type SLE or SLC - so yes enterprise is sufficient and there is no log on the primary

Note: you might be confusing the log that we speak of (lockvault log) with the privileged delete log (audit log) which has to be of type SLC

4) p.88 states, that snapshot are not deleted automatically. Does that mean, I have to tidy up manually or build some scripts?

[Tim] snapshots that have expired are not deleted automatically, they can be manually or through a script

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mheimberg

3) yes, it has to be a compliance volume.

Because there are not enough disks left we can not build up a compliance aggr -> 2) remains unanswered

1) what happens when I just initialize the compliance clock? Can the retention then be calculated? At least for new data?

Markus

itimothy

hope this helps

[Tim] - You can create SnapLock Enterprise (SLE) volumes without initializing the ComplianceClock (CC), however all files set to the WORM state on the volume do not have a time reference and hence cannot be deleted. You'd have to initialize the CC sometime and when that happens it becomes the time reference based on which the WORM files will expire, when they expire you can delete them.

[Tim] Yes, that would work - SLE source and SLE destination, but please revisit the table on p79/80 to see version related information

[Tim] There is only one log volume which will be on the snapvault secondary and it can be of type SLE or SLC - so yes enterprise is sufficient and there is no log on the primary

Note: you might be confusing the log that we speak of (lockvault log) with the privileged delete log (audit log) which has to be of type SLC

[Tim] snapshots that have expired are not deleted automatically, they can be manually or through a script

mheimberg

Dear Tim

finally I made it to test everything through. And your completely right.

Especially the difference between the LockVault log and the privileged log is not very clear in the guide. To me it seems, the guide is talking about both the same way.

Regards

Markus

itimothy

you're right Markus, it is slightly confusing, will take this up with Info Engineering. Glad I could help

Regards,

Tim

Public