ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault integration with SnapManager for SQL

radek_kubka

Hi all,

I know that SV can be integrated with SMSQL via Protection Manager (clearly explained in SMSQL 5.0 Admin Guide). The actual question is: how this can be done without Protection Manager?

I believe it is doable via scripting & similar idea around MS Exchange surfaced here - http://communities.netapp.com/thread/3952

Any hints / tips / script templates? 😉

Thanks & regards,
Radek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mwalters

Hi Radek,

OpsMgr/ProtMgr is the Right Way Ahead.  Known, tested, proven, fully supported.   Who wants that old

dodgy motor with 60,000 miles on the clock when you can have a shiny new one with full warrenty and the backing of a company who will be around forever (unless it's a <insert dodgy financed car manufacturer here> 

However, before we got that integration, there were ways of crufting things together to work (as there so often are).  Older SMSQL admin guides will be your friend here, such as the 2.2.1 notes here, and as you point out, there are other proof-points for things such as Exchange (see KB3990 for example).

cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mwalters

Hi Radek,

OpsMgr/ProtMgr is the Right Way Ahead.  Known, tested, proven, fully supported.   Who wants that old

dodgy motor with 60,000 miles on the clock when you can have a shiny new one with full warrenty and the backing of a company who will be around forever (unless it's a <insert dodgy financed car manufacturer here> 

However, before we got that integration, there were ways of crufting things together to work (as there so often are).  Older SMSQL admin guides will be your friend here, such as the 2.2.1 notes here, and as you point out, there are other proof-points for things such as Exchange (see KB3990 for example).

cheers

Mike

radek_kubka

I knew the truth  hint must be out there somewhere - thanks a million for unearthing this!

Regards,
Radek

mheimberg

Hi Mike

Who wants that old dodgy motor with 60,000 miles on the clock when you can have a shiny new one with full warrenty

I am for example one of  those who like the old car, because the new one is in fact shiny but has only three wheels and lacks of some other things....

I see the strength of ProtectionManager, but I am still unhappy with it, or to put it bluntly: I feel the product is mis-concepted.

Why? It starts with the awful naming of the snapshots. Next I have SQL servers running over 30 databases - not all of them need the same policy, but I can only assign one policy (= one retention definition) per server.

And it ends that I have to work in two different GUI to achieve the archiving. That is like steering the new shiny car with the steering-wheel but at the same time you have to control direction with a joy-stick...

Maybe future releases will soothe my mind.

Regards

Markus

Public