ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror:Clock on source is ahead of destination system

unitech89e9

Hi everybody

I have two filer and make a snapmirror replication,

but I get a message log recently[Snapmirror:Clock on source is ahead of destination system],

What will it affect?

And how should I need to do to correct?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cscott

It will not "truly" affect much.  However there are two important areas to note.  The system will still mirror the data.

The destination will be replicating at the time it has set, so if your replication is time sensitive, you need them in sync.

e.g. 

Mirrors need to be in sync every 15 minutes after a data dump/load

SystemA has time 00:13:00     Source- Read/Write

SystemB has time 00:16:00     Destination - Read Only

You expect the replication to occur in 2 minutes, however the destination controls the mirror, it won't actually occur for 14 more

Also snapmirror status can actually show negative results depending on which system has the time lagging.

-Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mwalters

I'm not sure off the top of my head if that should prevent the replication occurring.....

.....but regardless, you should ensure your FAS controllers have the right time & timezone settings applied: most people would link to an NTP (network time protocol) server/service.  Should be in the main System Admin Guide on the support site for your ONTAP version.

cheers

cscott

It will not "truly" affect much.  However there are two important areas to note.  The system will still mirror the data.

The destination will be replicating at the time it has set, so if your replication is time sensitive, you need them in sync.

e.g. 

Mirrors need to be in sync every 15 minutes after a data dump/load

SystemA has time 00:13:00     Source- Read/Write

SystemB has time 00:16:00     Destination - Read Only

You expect the replication to occur in 2 minutes, however the destination controls the mirror, it won't actually occur for 14 more

Also snapmirror status can actually show negative results depending on which system has the time lagging.

-Scott

Public