ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror Multipath over differing bandwidth links

dandillharsch

Hello,

I'm curently using snapmirror multipath and compression over two different links (MPLS and a VPN tunnel).  Both have similar latency however one link is 1-2 Mbps while the other is 10Mbps.  In my monitoring of the utilization on both links while replicating is seems like there is some limit I'm hitting which is causing my 10Mb vpn link to be quite underutilized (it's using anywhere from 2-4Mbps).

I've done the math on window sizes and the bandwidth at play here is nowhere near what would warrant increasing the window size greater than default.

So I'm wondering is there something built in that will not send more data over one connection than the other?  i.e. if I have a 2 Mbps link and a link with anything greater than that am I limited around 4Mbps?

Is anyone using snapmirror multipath over two links with different bandwidth that has seen this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dandillharsch

So I tested and it looks like it is.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

alapati

Multiplexing over two links with varying bandwidth is not recommended. I would suggest you use the failover mode instead of multi mode. Use the high-speed link as the primary and the low-speed one as the seconday (upon failover). Hope this helps.

Srinath

dandillharsch

Is failover mode supported with compression?  Would it still use snapmirror compression if instead of "multi" the connection type was "failover"

dandillharsch

So I tested and it looks like it is.

Public