ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror issue "could not read from socket. Transfer aborted: could not read from socket"

Gibran

Hi,

I'm trying to snapmirror one volume from our Netapp filer in China to the one in the USA and for whatever reason I get the following error 

[USA Filer: replication.dst.err:error]: SnapMirror: destination transfer china-filer:china_vol to usa_vol : could not read from socket.

Transfer aborted: could not read from socket.

These are the commands Im running to set up snapmirror once I've created and marked as restricted the volume in the USA filer which is gonna be used for snapmirror.

China Filer>options snapmirror.access host=usa-filer

USA Filer> snapmirror initialize -S china-filer:china_vol usa-filer:usa_vol

OS version 

NetApp Release 8.0.3P2 7-Mode:

The funny thing is that I can snapmirror from the china filer to the one in the USA succesfully but not the other way round.

Another thing to consider is that some volumes that are in the USA filer are being replicated to the filer in London, so my question is.. can a filer work as source and destination at the same time when it comes to snapmirror? that could be my issue...

Thank you in advance,

Gibran

2 REPLIES 2

georgevj

Do you have the required ports open in firewall?

Check this KB to see details.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011333&locale=en_US

PS: Nothing stops a NetApp storage controller from being both snapmirror source and destination at the same time.You may even have source and destination volumes hosted by the same storage controller.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

georgevj

One more thing, 

If you are using hostnames, make sure that none of the storage controller's hostnames are resolving to an IP address assigned to e0M interface. Data ONTAP does not allow data transfer through e0M interface by default.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.
Public